Valentine

We stayed up in the snowy mountains for a week. Arthur and Charles went hunting for a deer and they ended up bringing home two, which combined with what we already had, was plenty of food for our group to stay well fed for the week.

When it was time to go, we all helped load the wagons up. I climbed into the back of the wagon along with the other girls. They were chatting, but I was not in the mood to talk. The ride from Colter to Horseshoe Overlook took almost a full day. When we got there, everyone ate, pitched their camps, and went to bed.

We truly began making camp in the early morning. We built tents and took supplies out of the wagons to put on display. Mr. Pearson set up his butcher's wagon and table. He began preparing a pot of stew. I helped Abigail set up the medicinal wagon. Everyone had something to do.

When everything was set up, we got to relax. It felt fantastic to feel safe for the first time since Blackwater. I just wished I didn't have to worry about my brother.

A few weeks later, one day mid-morning, the girls came over to my tent as I was writing about the trip in my journal.

"We are heading into Valentine," Karen said. "You are welcome to join us. Arthur said it'd be good for ya and I agree."

I was going to say no, but I needed to force myself to do something or I'd go crazy thinkin' bout my brother all day.

"Yeah, I'll go," I said quietly.

"I'll tell Arthur," she said and walked off.

I put my journal under my pillow and headed in the direction of the wagon. When I got there, the girls were already in the wagon and Arthur gave me a hand up.

"Nice to see you join us, Riley," he said. I smiled and nodded, but didn't say anything.

Arthur got into the driver's seat. Uncle said, "Alright, out through the trees here, then take a left."

Once we were out of the trees protecting our camp, Uncle asked us to sing a song. The other girls started singing a song I didn't know, so I just clapped along.

"Look at that coach, he...he's all over the place," Uncle said.

We could hear the driver of the coach yelling, "oh, goddamn it! Oh, shit, the horses! Damn horses." Arthur pulled our wagon up next to the coach.

"Is one of you gonna get that feller's horse?" Tilly asked.

"Oh, I got lumbago," Uncle said. "It's very serious!"

Arthur got off the wagon and headed toward the coach. I could just barely hear him say, "lumbago, really..."

"You alright there, friend?" Arthur asked.

"Oh hey, you couldn't help me get my other horse back from over there, could you?" the driver asked hopeful.

"Sure, no problem," Arthur agreed.

"Thanks mister. It's the white one over there," the driver said as he began hooking the other horse back up. Arthur headed across the tracks. I peeked over the wall of the wagon to watch him calm the beautiful Shire horse.

"You can do it, Arthur," Mary-Beth shouted.

"See uncle, that is a gentleman," Tilly said, which caused me to chuckle. Tilly smiled at me and I returned the gesture.

Arthur finally calmed the horse and gave it a pat on the neck before leading it back.

"There," Mary-Beth exclaimed, "you got it!"