Chapter Seven

JASON HAD DECIDED TO TAKE his bike to work—his red Mini would be recognized—and use earphones to keep out the outside world

JASON HAD DECIDED TO TAKE his bike to work—his red Mini would be recognized—and use earphones to keep out the outside world. The moments to and from work were his most vulnerable ones, when he was alone with his horrifying thoughts and exposed to the dangers this world brought. His bike and the earphones with music were his way of limiting the anxiety he felt by keeping his mind distracted.

He'd just popped in the second earbud in his ear when he heard his ringtone, louder than usual, and the suddenness of it made him jump. So much for the calmness this plan of earphones and a bike was supposed to give him.

Control. Not possible in cuffs.

Once again, he felt limited. Was this what his life had come to? No choices, no freedom, no destination. Just this basement.

He got the earbuds out of his ear just as fast as he'd put them in and took his phone to see the caller ID, but to his surprise, he found an unknown number.

"This is Jason," he said after picking up.

"Jason King?" the voice, which still was unfamiliar to him, asked.

Jason confirmed.

"This is officer Langdon," the male voice said. Jason now recognized the name, even though the voice itself hadn't rung any bells. It was the officer that had questioned him about the kidnapping the last time, and the realization of who was calling sparked his curiosity. "I'm calling about the investigation. You and your father insisted I kept you up to date on it?"

He spoke the same way as the last time Jason had seen him, calm and collected but as if he was in a rush. Jason didn't know about his dad talking to the officer, but he confirmed it anyway as it didn't matter; he just wanted to know the reason Langdon was calling.

Jason decided, right then and there, something needed to change. He needed his freedom; he wasn't human without it.

"What are you doing?" Emily asked, who noticed the sudden change in his expression. Her voice was hardly louder than a whisper, and although the guy watching them could clearly hear them, he didn't say anything about it but watched in amusement.

"There's been some progress," Langdon began.

"Progress?"

"Yes. With your description and the info we gathered, we went to look for one of the guys that held you and Ms. Abbington captive."

Ms. Abbington, that was Emily. Him calling her by a name so distant to Jason and distorted by the media felt wrong, but Jason wasn't about to correct the man who was just trying to do his job. "And?"

"I have to mention upfront that this isn't something I usually do," Langdon said hesitantly. "Well, the update is, but what I'm about to tell you."

Jason frowned. "All right..."

"It's just—because of your dad and what he's done for us, we thought we could—"