Chapter Thirteen

"THANK YOU FOR COMING IN on such short notice," said agent Moore

"THANK YOU FOR COMING IN on such short notice," said agent Moore. Without even awaiting a greeting from Jason, he walked in the same direction as the last time he'd guided Jason to the interrogation room. Everything about the man's appearance indicated he was in a hurry and didn't want to risk missing a second of the interrogation: his fast pace, the eyes not looking at people but only focusing on his destination, the glimmer of sweat on his forehead.

"No problem," Jason said, and he followed the agent.

"This is the problem," the guy said. At the same moment, he gave Jason a hard push in his back that caused him to tumble forward. It was a different guy than the one that guarded Jason and Emily most of the time, and when Jason stumbled into the new and unfamiliar room, he met the faces of many more strangers.

"We brought Alman in this morning," Moore said, his sentence interrupted midway by his body's need to take in oxygen. "We immediately wanted to question him. What we expect from you is to identify him as being your kidnapper or not."

"I haven't seen that many people aside from Anderson, though," Jason mumbled. "I'm not sure if I'd recognize him."

"Don't worry." Moore tapped on a door with a glass panel and then opened a door next to it, gesturing Jason to enter. "It's standard procedure. If you don't recognize him, that isn't the end of the world. We have Anderson's word and are collecting evidence as we speak. And, of course, we don't know what Alman will tell us."

"You need to clean this for us," the same guy continued. His voice had a slight hint of mocking to it, a tone that was familiar to Jason.

"Here's the stuff," another guy said, and simultaneously he threw an empty bucket at Jason, followed by a stained blue cloth. "Get to work."

Jason walked into the room, a different one than the last time he'd been at the station but with an almost identical setup: Sanders behind a computer, two more chairs, and a big window giving a view of the scene in the adjacent room with Langdon and an assistant sitting on one side of the table and a guy in a jumpsuit on the other. Jason's eyes immediately wandered to the figure sitting opposite officer Langdon.

"What did you say his name was?" Jason asked Moore.

"But what—" Jason began, to whom the task of what he was supposed to do still wasn't clear.

"This," the first guy said. He picked up an egg out of a box Jason hadn't noticed before and threw it at the wall. An orange substance with fragments of egg shell dripped down. "Clean that, too."

The door of the observation room closed and the room was filled with a blue-gray hue, but the lack of light didn't bother Jason like it normally would because he was standing so close to the window. He hardly noticed what was going on in the room he was in.

"Alman," Moore said.

He shook his head in a way that showed his disappointment in himself. "Doesn't ring a bell."