Chapter Fourteen

A SMILE COULD CONVEY TWO emotions

A SMILE COULD CONVEY TWO emotions. Sometimes, it was an apology, at moments when words couldn't express it. At other times, it was pure happiness, and that simple smile was accompanied by forgetting all about the world around you, when it revolved just around you and the person you were sharing that smile with.

Right now, Emily was carrying that second smile.

Jason turned away as her hands slid under her shirt, fumbling with her bra. Although this was what they had agreed on as their next escape plan, he wasn't exactly comfortable with her trying to get a wire out of her bra while he was sitting three feet away from her.

"And?" he asked nervously.

She was singing about Miami, although Jason was sure it wasn't a real song and just something she was making up on the spot. And he had to admit that he was smiling because of her too.

"Don't you just love the world sometimes?" she asked as she turned around with a twirl.

But he didn't answer, because the world was taking Emily away from him.

"All these opportunities..." she said. "Like the sky is the limit."

She mumbled for a while, but then said the liberating words, "I got it." Triumphantly, she held up an object Jason had never seen before, but right now, it was their only hope for freedom.

"You're really happy, huh?" he asked.

"I'm going to see River again," she said, and that was her answer. The boy of her dreams had become a reality, and after months of thousands of miles between them, she was going to meet him again. And this time, she wouldn't have to leave him.

Except that she had to leave Jason behind.

"Hold out your hands," she said, and with the bra wire clasped between her two tied hands, she tried to cut the duct tape around Jason's wrists open. It had just been tied and in a quick manner, but the material allowed for the plan to be possible.

"Have your back towards the camera," Jason whispered.

Apparently, that feeling was visible on his face. "Are you okay?" Emily asked. Then she added, "Right, stupid question." She'd stopped singing.

"When does your plane leave?" Jason asked as they walked through the entrance of the airport, welcomed by the loud noises of chatter, trolleys rolling, and people rushing. It instantly blinded him.

"We're on time, don't worry," she said.

His question was actually meant to know how long they still had before having to say their goodbyes, but Jason was too focused on other things to correct her.

She did as he told while continuing to cut away at the duct tape. When the men would be back, neither of them knew; it was always unexpected, unannounced, which meant they always had to be on guard.