Crescendo of Hope.(aka the Nagito being feral chapter.)

-Hajime POV-

We all knew this would happen one day, but we weren't all ready for it.

Mikans death hurt us, even Hyoko was sad though she tried not to show it we could hear her weeping all throughout the night.

Souda found shelter for his sadness with his boyfriend, Tanaka. They comforted each other and Sonia would come along seeking warmth too, they cried together all night letting out the pint up anger and sadness.

Chiaki Found comfort in her Gameboy she got from Ouma.

Fuyuhiko found comfort in Pekos presents, they sat outside and talked about Mikan, Kokichi, The world and what its become.

Miss Yukizome comforted the rest of everyone the best she could, and I was just there. I'm not okay, and no one knows this, and they never will.

I sit outside, smoking, a habit everyone says is bad. 

 so I don't let anyone see.

The wind blows in my face as I sigh carding my hands through my hair.

I barely notice the footsteps coming up behind me rabid pace.

A slender deathly pale hand rests on my shoulder.

The end of an era.

Kokichi POV

I pick up the tabby cat and look around, this was Mikan's cat, She has to be around here!

I look around and spot a small cabin, camping tents, and other such items, I speed walk right to it. Going up to the door and set pepper into my bag as I walk windows? Check, looks clear...

I take a bobby pin from my hair and swiftly get to lock picking the door, after 20 seconds I hear the click of victory. Peaking in I see it mostly vacant aside from a few items here and there, but it's livable very much so at that.

I close the door and lock it setting my bag down and going up the stairs of the cabin with my pistol in hand, I check both bedrooms and the bathroom seeing nothing anywhere I smile gleefully.

I relax immediately, the windows can be boarded later, I hear a soft mewing and turn thinking its Pepper but instead its a skinny looking calico cat.

I bend down and scoop him up looking down at the beauty smiling, "Hi baby boyyyy~ oh my god you're just so cute!" I snuggle him and tread down the stairs setting him down and taking Pepper out of the bag letting them play on the large cat tree together.

 I search the kitchen only finding rotted food and a shit ton of wet cat food and even more dry, I smile as I throw out the rotted food knowing even when we run out this is a forest I can hunt easily.

There was only one food bowl but they gladly shared surprisingly, Kokichi trecked upstairs and started to search the closet finding a variety of clothing, Baby clothes (perhaps the people before me were expecting cause I see no cot or anything), Pre-teen to teen clothing, Adult clothes and some toddler clothing, I grab a few cute things.

I walk into the bathroom popping open the mirror cabinet, I look at the scissors and grab them closing the cabinet.

I grip the scissors tight and take my bandana off. "Time for a trim..." as much as I hate to admit it it's not safe to have long hair, too much for zombies to grab and yank back.

My hair flutters to the floor, I've always cut my own hair and I always do it right. I look up at the mirror and smile puffing up my hair, short yet not exactly my original hair cut but similar.  

I strip and change into the clothes I had grabbed from the bedroom

He stepped out of the room and down the stairs where the cats sit happily, things are starting to look up

Nagito POV

"Hajime? Are you smoking?" he says tightening his grip on the Ultimates shoulder, a sigh erupts from his mouth as he snuffs it out on the porch and stands 

"Yeah, I'm just a bit stressed right now." he begins to walk toward the door when Nagito decides to chime in 

"Mikan made a great sacrifice today." He halts his steps immediately and turns "For the cat we can't even find..?" He mumbles out with furrowed brows "No no, to show us that nothing will be the same if we don't try harder."

Hajime tries to speak up but Nagito interrupts "We were living up the top of our false hope, but now we see the truth-" he opens his arms to the side as if asking for a hug "-Now its been torn down, we know now that we can die just as easily as her, Shuichi and his group already know the feeling because they have lost people but we hadn't lost anyone."

"A new hope will be born from this despair, the hope to live, so Mikan's death was needed." he could practically see Hajimes anger broiling inside, "What the FUCK did you just say?"

 Nagitos smile etches across his pale face, "She needed to di-" he wasn't able to finish because Hajime had his hands wrapped tightly around Nagitos neck "Shut up, no one needed to die and if so id of picked you."

Nagito gurgles out a fit of manic laughter as Hajimes fists tighten, Nagitos legs give out and they fall to the ground.

That night two people died, nither needed to die.

or did they?