A Racer's Heart (Wreak-it Ralph Fanfic)

Prologue:

# # #

Red...

Yellow...

Green!

I slammed my foot into the peppermint gas pedal, causing my candy kart to purge forward. Everyone around me did similar, though one or two--Buttercup Frosting most likely, were stuck at the starting line.

Taffyta and Candlehead were in front of me though, laughing evilly. I grit my teeth, shifting my kart gears. My foot dug into my gas pedal, but I wasn't gaining any kind of acceleration.

Wind blew through my dark hair, though the candy pieces stayed in place. The strings from my hoodie whipped at the air, sometimes catching my cheek with a painful sting. I ignored it, however. My mind was focused on winning.

"Hey Vanellope!" A taunting voice called. Out of habit, my eyes turned to my right, and other one of Taffta's henchmen, Lollipop, was speeding passed me, her tongue stuck out teasingly. She let out a laugh as she passed, making me growl.

Suddenly, a large-sized white kart was racing beside me, holding a man dressed in fancy attire, a shiny crown atop his head.

"King Candy," I spat, gripping my licorice steering wheel tightly. My knuckles turned white almost immediately.

"It was pointless for you to try to win this," he said. "Just give up, dear!"

"Never!" I shouted, shifting gears again. I dug my heel into the gas pedal.

His smile disappeared. "You'll regret this, Vanellope," He pressed a gadget on his kart, and he pressed forward. My blood boiled. I glanced towards my gadgets on my own kart, unsure of which did what.

This is my first race after all...

I took a chance and pressed a miniature reeses piece button, which caused my kart to jerk forward. I gained a little speed, but not enough to get ahead of King Candy, nor Taffyta. But I was too stubborn to let my one chance to become a racer pass by me.

I pressed a Jolly Rancher button, which only made my kart jump. I growled. I slammed my fist on a M&M button--which propelled my cart forward. I gained speed quickly, passing a few racers. Taffyta and Candlehead were now in front of me, which meant King Candy had surpassed them as well.

I zoomed past them, making them scream in both anger and surprise. I chuckled, the sound being taken by the wind. My heart pounded in my ears.

I was going to win this race, or my name isn't Vanellope Von Schweetz.

The track then gave way to a curved path around chocolate mountain, with icing and cherries lining the edge. Taffyta nodded towards Candlehead. She nodded back, revving up her kart, spewing flames out the licorice pipes. I panicked--they had activated the Cherry Bombs! If they exploded around me, I would glitch out of control.

And then I wouldn't win.

I changed gears, trying to force my kart faster.

The first cherry exploded, and I felt myself glitch to the opposite side of the track. The entire line of cherries exposed and I found myself glitching off the side of the mountain.

I screamed as I fell, grabbing nothing but air.

----------------

I gasped as I sat up in my makeshift bed. My head pounded, and my heart was racing. My raven hair stuck to the side of my face with a mixture of drool and cold sweat.

I wiped my mouth dry, looking around. I was still in my "home"--inside of Cola Mountain.

I sighed, wrapping the large candy wrapper blanket around my shoulders.

I'll never become a real racer...