Chapter 2

I hid myself behind the stands, my heart racing faster than one of the fastest karts in Sugar Rush.My hood was pulled over my candy ensnared hair, covering the top part of M face as well. My licorice goggles were strapped to my forehead. Everyone was preparing for the Random Roster race to decide this week's racers. I clutched the golden coin between my hands. It was thick and somewhat heavy, with some odd lettering engraved on its cold surface. But no one would notice it.

At least, not until it was too late.

The other racers were lining their karts up at the finish line, the candy crowds cheering on their favorite racers. Soon, they'll have a new favorite.

Soon, Sour Bill, a small green sour jawbreaker (I think that's what he is...), appeared in King Candy's royal viewing box. Though his expression was nearly unreadable, it was easy to see that he wasn't too excited about the race.

"Citizens of Sugar Rush, all hail our rightful ruler, King Candy," he said in an emotionless, monotone voice.

At the mention of his name, King Candy appeared from the curtain on the viewing platform. A giddy, flamboyant character, dressed in a purple tailcoat, white vest, puffy golden trousers, complete with a lace collar, large red bow tie, and purple slippers with gumdrop bells.

"Hello my loyal subjects!" He giggled, bouncing about the small space. "Have some candy!" He tossed handfuls of candy to the crowds below. Though they were candy themselves, they ate the small pieces of candy with greed. I found this slightly numerous honestly.

"Thank you for that exciting introduction, Sour Bill," King Candy said, petting the green candy's top. Bill sighed, nodding. After taking the microphone from his assistant's hands, he spoke happily into it. "And thanks to today's avatars! It was a terrific day of racing!"

The racers below him nodded, high giving each other in congratulations. He continued. "Now, it's time to wipe the slate clean, and race to see which nine racers will become tomorrow's avatars!" With a wave of his hand, the roster above him, showing nine racing avatars, went blank. I stared longingly at one of the blank sections. One of those would be mine, soon.

"As you all know, this game is paid to play. And the fee is, as always, one gold coin from your previous winnings--that is, if you've ever won before," he chuckled. "I know I have! I'll go first," Pulling a rope, the coin processor opened up, with two mini trampoline-like levers unfolding down. King Candy took a gold coin from his pocket, tossing it towards the first lever. The coin bounced off the surface, bounced off the second, then landed into the coin processor, where the coin was turned into data.

The electronic bulletin board then announced his title. He giggled with excitement, pulling on a pair of brown racing gloves.

I wasted no time. While all the racers and the crowd had their attention on entering the Random Roster Race, I pushed my kart, cleverly hidden by a tarp I had crafted from old candy wrappers, into it's place on the very end. When my kart was in place, I ran over behind the line of racers waiting to enter their coin.

My heart pound in my ears as I watched the racer before me toss in her coin, the board announcing her name. I hesitated in tossing my coin in. What if it didn't work?

No--it had to.

I kissed the cool coin for good luck, tossing it onto the lever. It bounced once, twice, landing on the side of the coin bowl. It seemed just as hesitant as I was. I crossed my fingers. It tipped over into the bowl and was processed into data.

"Vanellope Von Schweetz!" The board announced my name. I cheered, my hood flying off.

"Yes! I'm in the race!" In my moment of pure glee, I unintentionally glitches, sending the crowd and other racers into a panic. Behind me, Taffyta had ripped the tarp off my kart. She bit back a laugh, and my cheeks grew dark.