Chapter Nine

A/N: Let's see, how do I put this...?

This is the final chapter of "A Racer's Heart" except the epilogue, which will be posted shortly.

But I have been turning the idea over in my head, and I've decided to do a sequel, and possibly a third book, but I'm still debating. Anyway, I hope you guys look forward to it, cause I'm a bit excited for it myself.

Now that you know let's get on with the last official chapter, shall we?

(Note: I've changed a few things in the end to fit with the sequel. Please just bear with it...)

* * *

My head was spinning. Felix and the lady had me behind them as the wall of bugs cornered us.

Or rather, me.

Ralph was already out of sight. He had reached the top of Diet Cola Mountain. The only thing I could see at this point was the steam escaping the cracks in the mentos shell.

I was scared. What would come of Ralph after he broke through? There was nothing there but a straight drop into the lava below. My stomach twisted like I had a terrible stomach ache at the thought. His last words played over and over in my mind.

I'll see you at the finish line.

He wasn't going to meet me there. Not if he continued to smash though the mentos.

"Fall back!" The Seargant lady instructed. The bugs were creeping closer. The three of us backed from them, glancing occasionally at the top of the mountain in vain hope of seeing the top of Diet Cola Mountain. Instead, what I saw drove a stake of panic through my chest.

A giant bug-hybrid thing was hoisting Ralph above the mountain, gaining altitude by the second. His name fell from my lips, almost drowned out by the heavy droning of the mechanical insects. Felix grabbed my hand, pulling me back before one of them could snap its jaws around me. The brightly colored bug holding Ralph wrapped its legs around him, effectively trapping him. A purple claw forced his head up, and Ralph looked at me.

At this point, Felix and the lady had already gone into the exit, surprised that I was unable to pass through with them. I stood there, staring down the mass wave of bugs crawling towards me. Even though I've wanted to die for so long, I couldn't bear the thought of it now. Ralph was suspended in air, and I was trapped with nowhere to go. Tears stung my eyes and I wiped them away with my sleeve.