Chapter Three

I peered around the corner, making sure the coast was clear. I stepped over to where the gate person sat. He was sleeping, blissfully unaware of the two figures sneaking past him.

Ralph was hesitant in agreeing to do this, but after some persuasion, he reluctantly accepted my deal.

Now, he was behind me, sneaking into the kart-making factory. I jogged along the path, keeping an eye out for anyone. Even if I wasn't jogging, my heart would've been throbbing in my ears. Honestly, I was afraid. My dreams of becoming a real racer were becoming a reality, yet I was still afraid.

What if, even after I had raced with the lot of them--they still rejected me? What if I would still be an outcast?

I shook my head. 'You've got to focus, Vanellope. Can't screw this up now,'

We approached the back entrance of the factory. I smiled, then frowned when I saw a crude drawing of me glitching.

NO GLITCHES ALLOWED, the paper screamed at me. I hastily tore it down, crumbling it up and tossing it over my shoulder.

Ralph looked at me. "Wait a minute, you're some kind of criminal, aren't you?" He asked.

I groaned. "Yes and no," I said. "I'll explain later. Now open the door,"

He stared for a second longer, then busted the door down with ease. I chuckled, stepping in. We were in a large room, which was dark at first, but came to life when I stepped in the middle of it.

"Welcome! Choose your kart!" A voice instructed.

"What is this?" Ralph asked as I examined each kart. It had be the best kart.

"It's like a mini-game, I think. You gotta make your kart," I explained.

"Woah, woah, wait," he said. "Sorry to break it to you, but I don't make anything,"

"Well, you'll be stepping outta your comfort zone then," I gasped as I caught sight of a particular kart. "That one!" I exclaimed, running over to press the button. The door opened to reveal a bunch of stations.

"You have 60 seconds to make your kart!" It said. I panicked--60 seconds?!

"C'mon kid!" Ralph urged.

I nodded, and we approached the first station.

"Mixing!"

I took hold of the controller wheel, trying to sort the ingredients into their rightful places--shoes in the trash, flour into the bowl, sugar into the bowl, paper bags into the trash, and so on.

Only, I wasn't doing as good as I hope.

Ralph climbed onto the platform, using his hands to knock the assortment of items into their correct spaces. I cheered as we cleared it. I ran to the next station.

"Baking! Get the oven to the perfect temperature,"

I took the air pump into my hands, trying to get the oven to the right temperature. Ralph sighed, gently pushing me aside. His strength was too much; however, and he broke the pump. I was about to yell at him when he detached the rubber hose from the pump and began to manually fill the meter himself.

"C'mon Ralph! Almost there!" I cheered. The timer went off and Ralph took a much needed breath. I was onto the next station before he was, with about 20 seconds left on the clock. "Hurry up!" I urged him.

"Decorating!" The voice announced.

"What first?" Ralph asked as he took the gun into his hands. He aimed for the wheel container.