Nature

Amber's POV

I walked along the hallway late at night, bare feet padding against soft carpet. My face was cold and wet, tears staining it. I rubbed my eyes again before going to my spot. It was a bay window on the second floor, holding under it a safe with the only drug we're allowed to have: weed. Everyone I know says it's to not draw attention to us and keep ourselves classy, and I believe it.

I sat down, drawing back the curtains to see the night sky. It was dark and cloudy, as always when I got to sneak over here.

"Mama, I know you're mad at me," I whispered, " but please give me the stars. I know I've done horrible terrible things to us, to my family, but you're all I have." Tears fell like rain down my face. "Bless me for once Mother. I've tried and tried and tried to get retribution. I know you want that for me, but I can't take much more of this constant pain."

The moon peeked out between the clouds at my declaration, highlighting my white puckered scars contrasting with the darkness of my skin. I shivered, diverting my eyes in shame at the mistake I made.

"Please Mom." I choked out a sob. "Please."

***

Lindsay's POV

I stood in front of a small office building next to Leader in the middle of a mall area, but for apartments. There was a nursing home, some separated houses, houses together, and a few apartment buildings 4 stories tall. Plus, a small row of office buildings. One of them was dark.

We walked into the office on the far left corner. Inside there was a small waiting room with a woman about 30 sitting at the desk. She smiled at me, gesturing for a small door in the back. I walked inside, Leader following me.

A young woman, 28 at most, stood up from her desk as we walked inside. She had big rimmed glasses framing a small round face. She wore casual business clothes, and sat in a modest office in a modest chair behind a modest desk with neatly stacked papers in front of her.

"Hi, I'm Analee," she said. "Have a seat."

Leader and sat down, then Analee. She adjusted her glasses and started this small interview as the light was fading from the sky.

"So, I heard a lot about you from Leader, so we will start with him in here, but I will need to talk to you alone."

"Ok," I shifted a little.

"You have only been here for 3 weeks, which makes you one of our newer members. You haven't gone out to do anything for us, and Leader thinks you're more suited to an office job," Analee stated, staring directly at me.

"An... office job?"

"Yes, an office job. Leader has told me of the good work that you've been doing around your house for the past few weeks, and thinks you would be good with sorting and filing paperwork."

"I don't really know about that," I said nervously.

"We do," Leader said. "It's perfect for you.

"And you don't have to work all the time," Analee interjected. "You can work a few full days or half days, as long as you're in your office for about 30 hours a week."

"Ok, I guess," I told them. On that one note, Leader stood up and walked out of the room.

"So, I wanted to finish this interview with learning a little about you and what you like."

"I don't really know what I do and don't like," I said, relaxing now that Leader was out of the room.

"I know you have interests," Analee said, leaning towards me, inviting me to share.