Chapter 14

Echoing footsteps. A loud screech. Rhythmic dripping.

Tim began to come to his senses slowly, feeling the coldness of the hard cell floor.

He couldn't move, his brain cloaked in a thick blanket of desperation and panic.

He managed to open his eyes slightly, but he could only see the fuzzy outlines of shadows.

Goosebumps prickled his pale skin, stinging slightly.

He couldn't think or concentrate. His head was still pounding, and he couldn't feel the lower part of his body.

The footsteps were closer now and echoed through the walls. A shadow moved across Tim's eyesight, followed by the sound of a cell door opening.

Strong arms wrapped around Tim's waist, causing Tim almost unbearable pain. He groaned and opened his eyes a little more.

He saw a man dressed in a black uniform, the same as the people that brought him here. The man carried him roughly out of the cell, and down the dimly lit passageway.

He heard doors opening and then felt the rush of cold air and the strong smell of seawater. He knew that the man had taken him outside, but he didn't know where they were nor what to do.

He felt a warm drop of rain land on his cheek, and then more sprinkled across his freckled face and hair. He then saw a yellow glow and wondered if it was a flashlight.

The rain went pitter-patter as it fell to the ground, splashing as it hit other growing puddles.

Suddenly, Tim was thrown to the ground. He hit the concrete hard, feeling his body pulse with pain as his knee made contact with the floor.

He laid there, panting. The cold rain showering over him, and the sound of rough waves crashing against rocks.

***

Jason knew that they were taking him somewhere.

Two large men dressed in the traditional black outfits were dragging Jason by the arms down a narrow hallway. Jason was wide-awake. He can still feel a small sting coursing through his body, up to his spine, but he tried to ignore it.

The men approached a large iron door, and one of them opened it. As they stepped through it, Jason could feel the cool rush of sea air, and soon after a few raindrops.

The sky was gloomy, and big grey clouds blocked out the early morning sky. It was very foggy, and Jason could barely see a metre in front of him.

He saw a small yellow glow cutting through the fog, and then realised that there was a small fire in a bin-looking tin. As they edged closer, Jason saw the man in the green suit standing in the shadow of it.

The man gave Jason that creepy smile, and took a step closer.

"Well, seeing that you are as useless as I assumed," the man admitted, voice deep. "We don't have any more use of you."

The man took his black gun out of the back of his pants. He aimed it at Jason, making sure that Jason heard the click of the safety being switched off. He smiled as he put his finger on the trigger, ready to squeeze without hesitation.

"Wait!" Jason shouted, his heart beating to fast to be healthy. The man eyed him cautiously. "I want to see my brother."

The man pointed the gun down and cocked his head in deep thought. "Fine. Consider yourself lucky. He's over there." The man pointed a little to Jason's right, and Jason slowly limped towards the space, not taking his eyes off the gun still pointed at his back in case he tried anything funny.