Chapter 10

Jason could hear the shouting coming from outside the room. He tried to block it out by concentrating on Tim.

When the door was finally closed fully, and the voices seemed further away, Tim scrambled from his hiding spot. He sat next to the young boy, who was lying on the floor, struggling to take in breaths.

Jason was surprised that he was alive. The bullet had hit him just under his chest, and his dark blood pouring out of it as his life was drained away, pooling.

The young boy's eyes were closed, but Tim could tell that he was awake by his quick breathing and shaking hands. Not long ago he was in the exact same position and couldn't help but feel great empathy towards the boy.

"Hey," Tim said softly, placing his hands over the boy's stomach trying to stop the bleeding from the wound and preserving the boy's life. "You're going to be ok; all I need you to do right now is focus on your breathing."

Lucas's eyes slowly opened when he felt hands on him and looked up at Tim, tears littering his cheeks. "W-why are you helping me?" he croaked.

Tim looked into his hazel eyes. "Your uncle did the same to me a few days ago. He shot me in the waist, and threw me into the ocean."

Lucas looked up at Tim with tired eyes, but seemed interested in Tim's story and struggled to piece a sentence together. "How'd you s-survive?" he slurred.

Tim took in a deep breath as his memories bought tears to his eyes. "I kept fighting, I tried to swim, and then I was found the next morning by a young lady. She was walking through a privet beach when she saw me. She saved me, and patched me up."

Lucas smiled. "T-that's nice." He whispered.

Tim could tell that he was losing him; he had to keep him talking.

"Your name is Lucas, right?" Tim questioned, looking up at Jason for a quick second and motioned him to keep a lookout.

Lucas nodded slightly.

"Well I am Tim, and my brother, Jason, is just over there." Tim nodded his head in his brother's direction.

Lucas smiled sluggishly but grabbed Tim's arm as a sudden seriousness overcome his weak features. "Y-you need to get out of here," he looked up at Tim with begging eyes. "This p-place, it's gonna b-blow."

Tim looked into his eyes, serious. "What do you mean it's gonna blow?"

Lucas coughed, blood dripping from the sides of his mouth. "B-bombs." He started coughing more, tears sliding down his face.

Tim moved one of his hands, and wiped his forehead, forgetting the blood the smeared his hand. He looked over at Jason.

"We need to get him to a hospital," he said. Jason peeked out the gap in the door before turning to his brother.

"I know." He closed the door.

Suddenly the shouting from outside quietened. The suited man's voice boomed through the silence.

"You had your chance," his voice echoed. Jason peeked through the door and immediately tensed. "You should know what's coming for you." 

"Son of a-," Jason was cut off and ran to Tim. "Lucas give me your gun."

Lucas nodded, and tapped his waist, where a leather gun holster was located. Jason took it, and rushed back over to the door.

Tim eyed him. "What are you doing with that?" he questioned, voice quivering.

Jason didn't reply for a while. "Tim, I'm gonna distract them, and you have to get Lucas out of here."

Tim shook his head. "Jason, what are you planning?" his voice quivered.