Chapter 4

The paramedics checked Tim over before taking him to hospital. He felt heavy with exhaustion and didn't know whether the cause of his tiredness was the drugs they gave him, or if he was getting sick.

The police officers had arranged for someone to call a taxi for Margret, and that she would be taken home.

They said that they'll talk to Tim later. He doesn't know why they said this to him, but he knew that this was far from over.

His head rested on the pillow behind his head, and he drifted off to sleep.

***

He woke up hours later to the sound of beeping.

The first thing he realised was that he was in a hospital bed, and had tubes sticking into his arms. He felt a bit drowsy, and there was fog settled over his brain.

As his vision cleared, he saw a nurse in the corner of the room, smiling.

"Hello there, love," she chirped. "We fixed you all up, and the police department called this morning to see how you were going."

Tim sat up and squinted at the woman. "Who are you?"

The woman looked to be in her mid-forties; she wore a light blue nurse outfit and had white streaks through her light brown hair.

"My name is Marie, and I'll be looking after you for the next few days." She said softly.

Next few days? Tim was thinking about everything that has happened and realised that he can't be in here for more than two days. He needed to find his brother. Tim promised his brother that he would come back, and because he hasn't, he might be thinking the worst.

"When will I be able to leave?" he asked, beginning to panic a little.

"The doctor said that you will be here 4-5 days, tops."

"4-5 days, I can't be here for more than two." Marie looked at him, confused.

"The police department said that we will let you leave once they have asked a few more questions." She said, being careful with her words.

Tim nodded and leaned onto the pillow. "When will the police get here?" he asked.

There was a loud knock on the door to Tim's privet room. "Perfect timing." Tim mumbled and placed his hands over his face.

The nurse opened the door, and the two police officers stood there. They were the same officers that interviewed Tim and Margret the day before.

"Hello, Tim," the woman said. "I hope that you're up for a little task we have set up for you."

The man nodded his head at Marie, and she left the room, getting the point.

There were butterflies beginning to form in Tim's stomach as the officers walked towards him. He sat up again and shuffled a bit under the white covers.

The woman sat on the chair that was next to the bed and sighed. "I'll just cut to the chase, we need you to spy on your mother and father." She said simply, rubbing the back of her neck.

Tim gazed at them, slightly confused. "You want me to do what?"

The officers shared a look as if they weren't too sure about this themselves.

"We know that this might put you in the risk of your father," the woman breathed. "But we need you to hear us out first."

Tim nodded and waited.

The man took a seat in the other chair, and gave Tim a walkie-talkie. "You're going to go back home, and tell us when your dad gets another call. Then you will find the address of the place where your father was told to go, and notify us."

Tim turned the walkie-talkie in his hand, examining it. "What about my brother?"

"You have the choice whether or not to tell him, but we advise that you don't." the woman answered.

"What about after? Will you arrest my parents? What will happen to Jason and me if they go to jail?"

"We were planning on arresting your parents after this blows over. You and your brother will be put into the foster care system, and will be given a proper education." The woman said.

"R-really?"

They nodded.

Then something hit him. "What if I get caught? What if the walkie-talkie breaks?"

"We will have a meeting spot around the corner from your place; we will meet there every night at 10." The woman replied.

Tim put his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "Yeah, all right." He sighed.

The officers stood to leave the room, when Tim stopped them. "What are your names? I just realised that you never told me."

The officers looked at each other in surprise. "Our names are Stephanie and David Lewi."

Tim smiled. "Are you both married?"

They smiled, and Stephanie showed Tim the ring in her finger.

"Congratulations." Tim chirped.

"Thank you." They both replied

"I think you should try and get some rest." Stephanie told me, and then they left the room.

Tim lied back and did as they said. He was surprised at how easy it was to fall asleep.