VI: Forged and Tempered

"Harriot said we should assemble at the main hall three hours from now wearing our outfits." Ray finished up his tea. A tap sounded, he put the cup on the plate. "Finally we're on to something. I kinda feel bad at myself for not doing what I can do when the whole world's basically on fire."

"Agreed." Furrowed brows, Lyria nodded. Still wearing her pyjamas to the dining room. "We are the key to stopping Corruption, yet here we are, at the safest and furthest place from where Rhys is..." A sighed blew out as she watched Miko toying with her tea, off-manneredly, playfully stirring it.

"I'm sure old man knew what he was doing." Lilia joined. She sat beside Lyria. "He seems to have known all about the tale of Farrus and Rhys. Possibly even before Rhys' broke out."
"Well, he was the one who took the quickest action and dragged us here." Both hands on table, Lyria hunched forward, resting her head. "Still, he struck me as somewhat... Suspicious?"
"I see." The witch girl chuckled in response.

Lyria knew something was behind the bitter-sounding chuckle. She maintained her glance at Lilia. She stared at the table cloth blankly as she set her tea down to the side, unfinished. Unbeknownst of Lyria's concerned eyes, a silent, yet slightly trembled sigh blew out as she kept her frowned expression up.

"Lilia..." Lyria reached her shoulder, knowing that Lilia needed her to. Lilia gasped. She looked to Lyria, who was already on a path to utter something that'd calm her. Lilia gave her a resolute smile, signaling Lyria that she didn't need to say anything.
"In the end..." A chuckled sigh escaped as she held Lyria's hand that was touching her shoulder. "I can't really seem to calm down. Sorry, Lyria. I know you're trying to cheer me up. And... Thanks."

"Lilia...!" Miko cleared her throat. Deepening her voice, she sounded like she was preparing for an independence speech.

"I know you're feeling down and all, but! The world is not gonna end!" She slightly pondered after that.

"... Yet!"

"She's right, fortunately!" Lyria agreed with an emphatic laugh while Lilia smiled bitterly. "Oh! Let me ask you something, Lilia."

"What is it?"

"Why don't you tell me what Eirandell looks like?" Lyria, eyes glittering, inched over to Lilia more. Their eyes locked to each other. "I wanna see all sorts of animals and plants over there. Also, I wanna visit the forests, and the small hills where we can lie down and watch the stars at night! Of course, Ray told me what's it like there, but... Buuut... Aaah it's just not enough!"
"W..what?" Feeling Lyria's weight, Lilia hung her head back.

"Lyria..." Ray alarmed her out of her own feverishness.
"A..ah... Sorry." Smirking nervously, she slowly pulled back to her seat, but not without taking her by her hand.

"But..." Lyria wrapped both of her hands onto Lilia's hand, eyes determined, smiling gratifyingly. "When we're done here, I really want you to take me to Eirandell!"
"Granted that you take her proffer, and don't mind her hyperactive shenanigans later at there." Ray finished, giving a more formal ask of favour.

Finally, and for the first time, the three of them bore witness to Lilia's laugh. There was no trace of bitterness in her laugh this time. An honest laugh, they sure were surprised to see this side of Lilia so soon, especially Lyria, who was flushed with happiness and relief as her eyes widened seeing her frightful new friend laugh so wholeheartedly. She gave Lilia a big grin as she lowered her eyes.
"Thank you. I feel a lot better." Lilia smiled as she placed her hand on the shirt collar, covering her collarbone. She let out a relieved moan as she steadied her breathing pace after a good laugh.

"It feels a lot better for me too, you know. It's relieving to see you laughed..." Still gripping Lilia's hand, Lyria paused for a moment. She recalled a piece of memory about her blurry, untold childhood and how she could relate to what Lilia felt; She was troubled, confused, angry, yet sad. She didn't know what to do, what's good for herself.