XIX: Battle for the Great Port

Moments prior...
At a small village to the east, Burmal.

A young-adult woman had just finished unpacking crates and generally helping the refugees from the Great Port settle in to their provisional hāmstede. She took a long, overviewing gaze at the now-packed hamlet before making her way to a large wooden lodge at the upper-centre of the city at a steady pace.

She was decked with an array of mismatching clothing parts above her otherwise casual beige laced shirt. Sewing marks were all over her ragged long pants, bearing the same colour as the shirt, with a bulk of boots to leg the thick snowy surface of Burmal hunting grounds.
Her top layer was all but symmetrical; her right shoulder was covered by a waist-length grey fur mantle, and a hardened leather pauldron that overlapped it on her left, up to a vambrace-like covering on the top part of her right arm. A strap of leather pad covered her left knee, and the fur of grey continued in a coat-like fashion, hanging from the back of her waist down to below the knees.

Upon arriving at the great wooden double doors, she pushed it open with both hands, revealing a long, oval-shaped hall. The dark oak tables were as long as it could get, and the carpeting around it was of grey fur. The big bonfire in the middle crackled as an ashen branch fell to its hearth. The bonfire occupied most of the hall's lighting, with several wooden chandeliers hung near the corners of the all-wood lodge. Two noticeable persons sat on the equally-well-crafted chairs, chugging on their drinking horns while having a laugh at each other.

"Astara... I... was about to look for you." None other than Chief Argous himself, talk interrupted with another ornate-equipped person as the woman quickly took in the warm ambience. "Has everyone settled yet?"
"Yes, Chief Argous. We had to adjust some things but now they have settled." She replied, voice brisk and deep as her intimidating, yet nonchalant demeanour. "And Chief Rugarr—thanks for letting us stay here for a while."
"It is not a problem, young lady! We had the extra space after all." He answered enthusiastically. "Although I am afraid that if the Great Port itself is lost then it is only a matter of time until those monsters reach here."
"But on a more positive note, we should be safe here in the meantime." Astara gazed at the calming hearthfire. "Which is why I think that this is a great time to... re-liven up my hunting hobby."

"A game? At this point of time?" Argous wiped his beard off of any stench from his drink. "I am not sure that would be a wise decision, Astara, let alone we have the raid's un-expectancy to potentially deal with."
"Rest assured, Chief. They are not getting here in at least one and a half week, based on the movement of the pack." She elaborated, arms crossed. "Besides, I am heading northeast. Blue Striped Sabretooths usually hunt there anyway." She shot her eyes to the direction through the window facing that a way.

"So I take it that you are here to borrow Argous' steed?"
"Exactly." She scoffed.

"Well, she is yours for the night." Laughed the mentioned chief. "Just do not get her killed, that mare is a fast one..."
"Then by my honour, your next meal will be on me, Chief." She lowered her head before turning around, walking towards the double doors with subtle, yet hasted steps. Argous took notice of her slightly off pace and decided to see her off, gesturing Chief Rugarr to excuse him.

The village was well-lit, yet visibility dropped cumulatively until only shadows and silhouettes of the ominous, tall-standing trees were left to behold. The horse stable was near to the lodge, so Argous managed to catch the sight of her slinging a well-worn bow to her shoulder, a back pouch tied and strapped secure as she got on horseback of his iconic equine. The mare neighed as they came out of the stable with a firm pat by Astara's legs, galloping out from the village before disappearing into the dark night.