Thunderstorm

Drops of rain on my window. Our window. I have to get used to saying that, now that we live in the same house. We finally moved in a couple of weeks ago after getting married. I rolled over, tangled up in our blanket as I turn to face him. His hair is messed up and he is dead asleep. I reached over and played with some strands of his hair smiling, happy that he is here.

His arm that was over my waist is now on his stomach. He always sleeps shirtless. His closet is full of shirts but he barely wears them at home. I look at his face, admiring it and smiled as I traced his bushy thick eyebrows. I leaned closer and gave him a kiss on his forehead before pulling my blanket up higher as the cold got to me.

I stared at him before slowly falling asleep, his face being the last thing I see.

I gasped and was startled awake when I heard the loud sound of thunder. Immediately, I curled into a ball and shivered in fear. Tears start forming as I was shocked by the sudden weather. I cupped my ears and stared out the window on his side observing the sky. I saw lightning in the distance and flinched as I braced for the thunder that soon followed.

The sky crackled and I shut my eyes, attempting to block the terrifying sound out. I cried as I felt unprotected regardless of the blanket over me. As I cried, I felt two warm hands softly on my wrists. I opened my eyes, meeting with his as the concerned look on his face made my heart beat faster. He tugged on my wrists, telling me to let go but I refuse. I hate the sound of thunder.

He released my wrists and moved his arms over my shoulder and around my waist, pulling me closer to him. He protected me with my head against his chest as he caressed it. It felt better when I am embraced in his arms but I was still scared.

I flinched whenever I heard the sound of thunder. I heard him hum softly, not a song, more like speaking to me but in a humming voice as if asking if I was okay. I hummed in response and leaned in closer. I played with one of my ears as I reached up to one of his and did the same.

I loved the feeling of the cold skin so I played with it. His silence told me that I could play with it so I shut my eyes as sleep took over. I was half asleep but I remember him giving me a kiss on the head and whispering goodnight.

Goodnight, Love.

110619