Long drive to The Meadows

"Honey~" I heard someone call me as I was enjoying a dream of eating sushi. "Honey, wake up its time to go." I groaned as someone shook me, trying to wake me up. "5 minutes..." I mumbled as I fell back asleep. After a minute, I heard "It's been 5 minutes, time to wake up." so I turned away from the voice.

I felt an arm around my waist, forcing me to turn back around. "Honey, wake up." I opened one eye, seeing him in front of me and closed my eyes again. "Good morning honey." He greeted as he kissed my forehead. I smiled and replied, "Morning," as I leaned in closer, hugging him as he let me rest my head on his arm.

"We have to get going or we will miss the sunrise." He spoke softly as he played with my hair. "I wanna just stay in bed forever," I mumbled, still feeling sleepy as I laid my head on his chest. I sniffed and inhaled the smell of body soap so I sat up to look at him.

His hair was damp and I just realised that he was wearing a different shirt from last night. "You showered first?" I asked, frowning as I was the last to get ready. He chuckled and sat up, facing me as he said, "I didn't wanna wake you up so I went first."

I groaned as I lazily got out of bed and grabbed my towel. "You have 20 minutes to get ready, honey. I'll make you some coffee." He sneakily smacked my butt as he left. I let out an annoyed 'tsk' and went to get ready. After a quick refreshing shower, I looked through my closet and picked out an outfit to wear.

I wore a pastel pink t-shirt and black denim overalls with a pair of white low cut Converse sneakers. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and headed outside after grabbing a grey oversized cardigan. "Oh my gosh, you look like the female version of a minion." He joked as soon as he saw me walk through the hallway.

"I'm taking that as I compliment," I said as I slung the cardigan on my arm and approached him as I looked out the window, noticing how it was still pitch black outside. "We should get going. I already got your coffee." He spoke, catching my attention as he held my drink up in a travel tumbler.

As we were ready to go, we made our way to the garage and unlocked the truck. We fastened our seatbelts and got comfy as this was going to be a long ride. Every 19th of each month, our monthsary, we would visit the meadows that were about an hour and a half drive from here.

We celebrated it with a relaxing picnic while we enjoy the view of beautiful flowers that surrounded us. I had our playlist ready as we began the drive, singing along. I stared at the window, admiring the clouds as we were leaving town. "Do you know what goes up but never goes down?" I asked as I traced the line of the clouds from the truck's window.

He laughs and answered, "Clouds. Easy." I gave a short, "Nope." as I smiled cheekily at the successful trap. "Age?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow at me. "Hey, eyes on the road honey," I warned and turned his chin, making him face the road. "Then tell me," He said, eager to know. I just smiled, looking at him as I leaned back to admire.

"My love for you." I smiled wider, crossing my legs as he laughed at my cheesiness. I played love songs of Ed Sheeran and sang along, dedicating it to him. We sang our hearts out together and enjoyed the straight road as the yellow sun slowly began to rise, filling the sky with red and splashed the clouds with endless rays of pink.

I turned my phone on, capturing a picture of the beautiful sight. I added it to our album of sunsets, marking today's date. "So, what's for breakfast?" He asked, making me look up from my phone. I placed my finger, tapping it on my chin as I hummed. "Mac and cheese?" I suggested but it was missing something.

"And fried chicken!" Both of us said in unison and laughed as we thought alike. "I can't live without chicken." He mentioned as I chuckled and said, "Of course you can't." We continued driving for about 40 minutes, singing to songs and winded the window down to enjoy the cool breeze before arriving at the resting point.

It was a small town in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of cafes and restaurants along with a gas station. You can find anything you need here and most of the stores are even open for 24 hours. We parked the truck and got off, stretching a little before heading towards our all favourite diner. 

"Table for 2." He said as he held up 2 fingers, indicating the number of people. We were led to a table by a waitress and given menus to select our orders. "I wanna eat just cheese," I told him, looking up from the menu. "We'll make some when we're home alright?" He suggested as he placed his hand on the table, palm upwards.

I placed my hand in his, fitting perfectly. "I think I'm going with ice water, you?" I questioned him as I closed the menu, certain of my choice. "Coke, as usual." He answered and shut the menu. We proceeded to order and waited patiently for the food as we observed people walking past our window.

"Mac and cheese, and fried chicken." The waitress stated as she placed our orders on the table and thanked her. We dug in as I devoured my mac and cheese, not forgetting to share it with him. "So creamy~" He commented after swallowing that first bite.

I gave him a quarter of it after he stated that I was taking too long and decided to finish it for me. "I kinda want a milkshake but I don't wanna get to full." I sighed as we were still getting pizza for lunch later. He stood up, holding his hand out to help me up from my seat.

I placed my small hand in his big palm as he tightened it to assist me. "Thank you, kind sir," I faked a British accent as he did as well. "You're very welcome m' lady." We laughed and walked out of the restaurant with his arm over my shoulder.

We got in the car, not forgetting our pizza and continued our journey to the meadows while having a singing battle. The meadows were as beautiful as the first time I saw it. He has always wanted to bring me to a wonderful place like this and decided that this should be our destination for every monthsary.

I love it here. It's peaceful and calm, especially with him by my side. I held my knees up to my chest as I leaned on his shoulder and listened to the songs played through the portable speaker we brought. We watched the sun descended slowly, disappearing under the horizon as the stars became more visible.

We laid back, resting our heads against the pillow as I moved closer to him. "One day  we'll bring our kids here, to tell them stories of us." He promised as he grabbed my hand, kissing the back of it and looked at me. I smiled as I imagined 2 beautiful children laughing and playing together.

"I'd like that a lot," I said and looked up towards him, smiling wider as the love of my life was in front of me. I gave him a kiss and continued gazing at the stars, admiring each one as he kissed my forehead gently. "One day.." I heard him whisper before I soon fell asleep in the safest place in the world.

13/10/19