Chapter 41

Sophia stood and watched as the ambulance sped off towards the hospital with her mother in the back it. Sophia refused to get in the ambulance so she just stood there and watched.

"Sophia, it's time to go to the hospital yourself. Your shoulder is bleeding very badly." Another EMT spoke, and Sophia felt as the tears continued down her cheeks.

"She's going to be okay, right?" Sophia whimpered as she started to feel her body go numb and her legs went weak.

"You won't find out until we get you to the hospital too. Let's go. You are losing blood."

"So was she..." Sophia trailed off before slipping towards the EMT standing next to her. He helped her stand up before taking her to the ambulance.

===

When Peter got a call from Mariska's agent, he got on a plane with the twins and rushed back to Manhattan. He needed to be with his wife and daughter right now after their world was torn up.

It was about an hour and 20 minutes before Peter and the kids were in Manhattan and in a town car to the hospital. The twins were barely awake, but they knew something was very wrong for their field trip to be canceled early. 

"Who are we seeing, Daddy?" Missie asked, and Peter reached over and brushed a few red curls away from her cheek gently before speaking.

"We are seeing Momma and Sophia..."

"At the hospital?" Luke questioned, as he pointed at the large building they were nearing.

"Unfortunately," Peter replied.

 "What happened to them, Daddy?" Missie asked quickly.

"Don't worry about that. Let's just get there and then we can discuss this."

===

Mariska had to be rushed to the OR upon her arrival to the hospital. Once Sophia finally made it there, she was sent there too. Sophia's injury wasn't as bad as her mother's, but it was just as serious for her to get attention.

They had nothing to tell Peter when he and the twins arrived at the hospital. All they did was take him and the kids to a more private waiting room so they wouldn't get badgered if recognized.

They sat for hours and the twins slept curled up in their chairs, but Peter couldn't sleep even if he tried. He was just so freaking worried about his girls, that even falling asleep for a minute would make him have nightmares. No one told him how they got hurt or how bad off they were, all he knew was that something really bad happened and they were both affected by it.

"Peter." Donna breathed, and Peter quickly looked at the housekeeper.

"Hey, Donna. I'm sorry that I woke you up and probably scared you when I told you to meet me here... I was just wondering if you could take the twins home? Let them sleep in their own beds." Peter breathed, but the woman shook her head.

"You guys can't go home." She breathed.

"What? Why not?" Peter questioned.

"No one told you? I was about to head there to start cleaning up since Koda and Jackson were supposed to hang out there, but it's blocked off by police tape... Peter, Sophia and Mariska were shot." Donna spoke, and Peter felt like he was going to get sick.

"By who?" He whimpered.

"Chris... he shot them over the interview. He's on the run."

"Okay... uh, I have no idea what to do with the kids. I need to be here for Rish and Soph."

"I'll take them back to my place. Chris doesn't know where I live and I doubt he'll think that you and the kids are back in town. Just stay here and I'll take the kids back." Donna replied, and Peter nodded slowly.

"Okay... uh, thanks." He breathed. He stood up on shaky legs and Donna pulled him into a hug. He started to cry, and he was praying that his wife and daughter would live. He needed them and he wanted them to survive this. They didn't need to lose their lives because Chris felt like being an ass.

"They will be okay. They are strong and fighters. I've seen everything they have gone through since Chris left them, and this won't keep them down for long."

===

Sophia woke up in a hospital room with her arm in a sling across her chest and her head pounding. Sophia could remember the times where she got horrible headaches after getting a really bad beating at school, but it has been years since she felt this much pain in her head.

She tried to think really hard about what had happened, then it all hit her again. 

Chris had shot her and her mother. The last thing she remembered was that her mother was barely holding on. That there was so much blood everywhere. 

"Dad?" Sophia moaned. All she wanted was her father because she didn't know if her mother was still alive anymore. All she wanted was one of her parents because she was so scared right now.

"Dad!" Sophia squeaked out, and a nurse who was coming in to check on her vitals opened the door.

"Sophia, calm down. Everything is okay." She spoke, but Sophia shook her head.

"My mom was shot. Where is my mom?! I want my mom!" Sophia cried, as she quickly tried to get out of bed, but the nurse pushed her back quickly.

"Sophia, I will get your father in a few moments. For now, I need you to sit back and relax." She cooed gently. Sophia started to cry as she sank back against the pillows as more tears ran down her pale cheeks.

"Is my Mom alive?" Sophia whimpered, and the nurse looked her dead in the eyes and nodded.

"She is in the ICU, but she's alive and breathing by herself. She was seriously injured and had several internal injuries. You both are so lucky that you are alive." The nurse breathed, and Sophia looked at her arm before frowning.

"I want to be with her. Can't I go see her?" Sophia asked, and the nurse shook her head as she covered Sophia up again.

"Wait. You need to recover just as much as your mother does. Now, get some sleep. I'll get your father and tell him your awake."

"Where he is?" Sophia breathed.

"With your mother. I'm sure he'll want to come down and be with you when I tell him you are finally awake."