Chapter 4: The Truth

Mario, Luigi, and Professor E.gadd were all in the library as Luigi and E.gadd were looking through the bookshelves. However, Mario was sitting in one of the chairs at the table as he stared outside the window...but it wasn't a very happy view of the town.

He could see some toads breaking down in sobs, and others arguing with each other. He immediately knew this was from the darkness of that orb they found back in Chucklehuck woods. They needed to fix this. But speaking of that...one question was unanswered in his mind:

Why aren't him, and Luigi affected?

He knew E.gadd wasn't affected by the darkness...for now. He knows he's trying to fight it, trying to keep it from taking over his senses. He wants to be there for him and Luigi to help out in anyway he can, even if he has to resist something that he only has a low chance of winning.

Mario sighed as he laid his head in his arms on the table as he stared at the floor under him, he then closed his eyes.

"Who are you?"

━━━━━━━━❪❂❫━━━━━━━━

"Am I...really the cause of all of this...?"

"Mario, don't listen to ______. He's just trying to get into your head. Besides, not any of this is your fault. He only gets his power from control. But together...we'll make sure he'll see what light and darkness together can really do!"

"...I hope so."

"I know so. You just need to trust me. Besides, we're both two halves of the same coin, right?"

♡゚・。。・゚♡゚・。♥。・゚♥

"Your love for your brother...really has become...stronger."

"You don't know the first thing about love, ______. It was your choice to bring hurt to these people, mess with their emotions just to give you joy. A real leader knows that he can learn from his mistakes, and move on."

"...Then who's choice was it? Someone...needs to stand up...and lead this unbalanced world."

"...Then you're not that right person for the job."

♡゚・。。・゚♡゚・。♥。・゚♥

Mario groaned as he slowly opened his eyes. When he did, he saw he was still laying in the same position as he was when he laid his head on the table. He must've fallen asleep again. That's what this whole situation was doing to him.

He sat up as he stretched his arms, and looked around. He put his hand on his head as he closed his eyes.

'Those voices...' He thought.
'I know I heard me, Luigi, and that voice in my head. But...who was the other one? It sounded so muffled..'

"Mario?" He looked in front of himself, and he saw Luigi walking towards him with a book in his hand. "You okay?"

"...I don't know, Luigi." He shrugged. "I guess I'm just worried about what could happen next."

"Hey, it's okay to get worried." He said as he put his hand on his shoulder. "Besides, whatever happens...I'll be there for you, even if I have to go through my fears again."