His Heart was a Flutter

Up close, she was even more beautiful than he could have imagined.  Her eyelashes were long and her cheeks were rosy from the nights' escapades.  Her hair lay  behind her on the pillow of his quarters.  His crew was out and about or asleep and they did not see him make his way back onto the ship.  

He had placed her onto his bed and had proceeded to wash the spit from the devil's mouth on her face.  She had blood dried on the other side of her face, where the devil must have dropped her.  He washed that away as well and placed another cloth on her forehead.  While doing all of this, he admired her facial structure.  Her eyebrows perfectly set, eyelashes splayed across her face, cheeks pink as a flower, and lips a darker pink like a satin cushion which laid on the other side of the bed.

He put the wash cloth back in the basin filled with cool water.  He sat back in his chair that he had brought to the bedside, knowing she would awaken soon.  He had been relieved to see she was a woman of daylight, and yet her purity had almost been taken by a man who would never bother any woman again.  

Her eyes flickered open slowly as he waited patiently by her side.  He stared into them waiting for a reaction of fear.  Yet, she stared back admiring his features.  Realizing she was looking for perhaps a bit too long, she started to get up.

"Where-," she started to say as she looked around his cabin.

"Pardon me, my lady.  I did not know where you would receive help for your head so I took you to my ship.  My name is Xavier Lark.  You were... sidetracked by a man that I took care of, but you should be alright now.  How is your head?" He looked deep into her eyes, wishing he could read her mind.  He worried about her mental health not just physical.  The event that has just occurred could have been very much worse.

She studied his tan face, and dark hair.  It was long past his shoulders, and in a half ponytail.  His eyes were green, and they seemed to stare into her soul.  His voice was low and deep, yet comforting.  His shoulders were broad and buff, and his frame was firm.  He could easily have been over six feet and then some, but he was sitting in a chair that seemed small in comparison to his body.  A black leatherette lay on the table behind him, and a scuffed sheathed sword lay next to it.  

Her eyes looked back to his, and she knew they were incredibly different but she somehow felt connected to him. 

She then smiled at him timidly saying, "Well it aches slightly, but that's nothing.  Captain Lark I am indebted to you for your kindliness.  I do not know exactly what went on within The Seven Pleasures and yet I know you did put yourself at risk inside."

"It tweren't nothing at all," His accent leaked through his words.  He cleared his throat quickly and continued, "I saw a lady in distress."  He was shocked to hear her call him, Captain Lark, and wondered how a fine lady such as herself could know about someone like him.  

She looked back at him and then swung her feet over the bed. She paused and turned red realizing she was in his bed, and said, "I... well.  I am indebted to you.  Your tales are not forgotten in our home.  We wish you no harm, and I know you mean well.  I am just not this type of girl... and I think you may have seen this while at The Seven Pleasures."

Suddenly, Captain Lark jumped up out of his seat.  Not only was he six feet, he could have easily have been seven!  She tried not to gasp and let the fear show on her face.  He stepped away from the bed, his own face turning tomato red.  "No, I was not expecting such behavior from a lady such as yourself, ma'am.  I was only trying to apply first aid and cold water to your head.  You had a nasty fall."  He stepped further away as if to confirm his actions were only professional and appropriate.  

"Ah, well thank you kindly Captain," she looked away turning more red than he.  He appeared to be quite different from the tales she would tell to her younger cousins and siblings.  She hurriedly stood up.  

"I do not have much to offer you in-," she started to say but he cut her off.

"Oh no, I do not need payment.  I am just glad you are alright, ma'am."

"Still, I should pay you back for the kindness you have shown me," Aurora said hastily.  She tried to think of a way she could repay her debt.

"If you feel the need, I was... wondering if I could visit with you another time," his words reached her ears which caused a surprised face on her own.

"I only happened to be there at The Seven Pleasures because I saw you go in.  I... knew you did not belong there, and I was worried...," he said hurriedly.  

She looked deep into his eyes and knew that he had been watching her.  She reddened realizing that he had been attracted to her the moment he had seen her and yet, this pirate was treating her more like a human being than did other men in her own neighborhood.  

She examined his face again.  His green eyes only spoke volumes, it was as if she could read them like books.  The scruff of his well shaped facial hair was only slight around his jaw and chin.  He was a bigger man than what she thought he was, and yet she felt drawn to him too.

"Really, do not feel pressu-," he began.

"Of course you can.  I would like that," she smiled with a slight red blush but her eyes twinkled.  "Oh... but I do have quite the rowdy younger cousins and siblings... they might be a bit of a pain once you arrive."  She laughed timidly looking at the floor and the beautiful red carpet underneath her.  

He smiled barely hearing her words, his heart was a flutter at the sight of her beautiful smile and her gorgeous laugh.  

"What's your name?" He asked enthusiastically as if he was receiving a sweet.

"Aurora... Aurora Morningbird," She answered, not bothering to ask for his.  She knew who he was, but not exactly who he was.

"Aurora Morningbird, it's been a pleasure to meet you," Xavier Lark smiled down at her, a genuine captain smile that was rare especially with a backstory like his.

He walked her back to her house like a proper gentleman.   Quickly and quietly, they stole into the night.  His band slightly brushing against the small of her back as he led her through the alleys.  An innocent walk, but the beginnings of the taste of adventure to come.