Epilogue

(Third Person Point of View)

"You won't believe what I just saw."
Sugawara squealed one night which made the other sirens look at him suspiciously because the normal Sugawara doesn't just squeal.

"What?"

"I just saw the most beautiful man I have ever seen."
Sugawara held his blushing cheeks, unable to contain his excitement.

Bokuto groans. "Holy shit, it's Oikawa 2.0."

Oikawa eyes him with utter incredulity.
"What the hell, Mr. Refreshing, that's poison."

"Huh?"

Oikawa held both of Sugawara's cheeks.
"Have you forgotten what happened to me? It's poison, it will consume you. Mark my word, Mr. Refreshing."

"I know," Sugawara looks away. "But he was the sweetest thing! He has a kind smile, and he even told me his name when I said I would drown him. His name is Daichi Sawamura."

Kuroo choked on his own spit.
"Okay, mate. What the heck happened to you? We don't just randomly say, 'oh hey man, I'm going to drown you. You good?' What the heck, Suga. Have you accidentally drank oil spill?"

Sugawara laughs shyly. "But I didn't know how to start a conversation."

Bokuto facepalms. "What's with all of you, falling in love with humans and shit?"

Hinata raises a hand. "I won't fall in love with a human ever, Bokuto-san!"

Kageyama followed suit. "I stand the same!"

Kuroo snickers. "Of course, why, I wonder?"

Kageyama looks away while Hinata blushes madly.

"Hey," Oikawa flicks Kuroo's forehead. "That would be so invalid to be coming from you two."

Bokuto clears his throat, clealry suppressing a blush. "As I was saying, falling in love with humans is the greatest shit. Do you hear me, Suga? As if Oikawa's experience hadn't served a lesson for us all."

Sugawara sighs. "I know. I'm sorry."

Oikawa looked at the moon reflecting the waves. "It's a drowning serenade."

"What?"

"Sirens are known for drowning humans. We allure them using beautiful serenades. Little did we know, humans also have their own beautiful serenades, alluring sirens for them to drown, suffering a disease worse than death."

"What are you talking about?"

"Do you know what that drowning serenade is, used by humans to kill sirens slowly?"

"....what?"

"They make us fall in love with them. After all of that, you'll die slowly of heartache, knowing very well a human man is only for a human woman, not a siren."

Oikawa crossed his arms. "I don't want that to be happening to you, Mr. Refreshing."

Sugawara looks down, defeated.
"Right.. Right.. I'm sorry."

"Not unless he's willing to give up his human life to be a siren just to be with you, that's love. He will clearly have my approval. But that's just far from reality. Humans are greedy. They won't sacrifice anything."

"I hate to say this, but Oikawa is right."
Kuroo says, scratching his head. "That's why we drown them."

Ushijima was looking at the six sirens from afar off, observing their conversations, with Tendou sitting comfortably beside him.

"Is that true, Tendou?"

Tendou hums. "What?"

"Was there some case that a human actually gave up the life on land just to be with a siren, just like what Oikawa said?"

Tendou puts a hand on his chin.
"Hmm, maybe there would be. If he knew there was a way to be reunited with his siren again. Sadly, he didn't knew. Else, he would be here, with all of us."

Ushijima looks at him. "Strange. Do you know this person?"

Tendou laughs softly, ruffling Ushijima's hair.
"Of course."

Ushijima raises a brow. "Do I know him, too?"

"Yes, Wakatoshi-kun."

Ushijima blinks. "That human must love that siren deeply. Why didn't fate allow them to be together?"

"Maybe in another life, Wakatoshi-kun. Or maybe in a parallel universe. But with the one we live on, fate just decided they shouldn't be together. After all, they didn't knew they loved each other. They're stuck on a loop where the human just wanders the sea until his last breath, looking for his siren that doesn't want to be found nor remembered by him."

"Tragic." Ushijima contemplates. "Which reminds me, what is the name of the said human? The one who would give up life on land just to be with a siren."

Tendou looks at Ushijima knowingly.
"His name is Hajime Iwaizumi."