prologue

"Hey bud, how was school?" Gabriel shrugged his small shoulders, fiddling with his hot wheels. Logan looked worriedly at her little brother from the rearview mirror with a sigh. "Hey, the school year is almost over, dude. It'll be summer before you know it!" She said enthusiastically. "But you go to school away from home after summer." He frowned. Logan frowned and focused on the road.

A woman ran in front of the car causing Logan to slam on the breaks as a sick looking man chased after her. The woman tripped on her own feet and went to the ground, the man kneeling beside her and ripping her stomach open as she screamed.

Logan gaped at the scene in front of her, letting out a scream and putting the car in reverse and going around the two. She sped straight home and left Gabe in the car as she ran inside. The back door was wide open, inviting in every Walker that passed the house. "Mom! Dad!" Two more walkers came from the kitchen, one with a piece of shoulder missing, the other with half of its face gone. Logan recognized their pale faces as her mom and stepdad. Crying, Logan ran out of the house and got into her car, pulling out of the driveway and racing down the street.

Gabe was crying loudly in the backseat, screaming as they drove. "Where's mom and dad?" He asked through his sobs. "They're sick Gabe, like these other people. I need you to be really strong right now, okay? Can you do that?" Logan asked frantically. Gabe sniffled, and nodded his head. Logan nodded back, more to reassure herself than anything.

The city was wild around them, cars wrecked on the roads, people running frantically and being chased by those flesh eating monsters. Logan drove through, seeing people with guns and knives and weapons of all kinds, and she realised she needed one aswell. She parked the car in front of an army surplus store and turned to look at Gabe. "Stay in the car, no matter what. I will be right back. Okay?" He nodded hurriedly and she opened the door and looked around before running in the store.

Immediately she noticed the place was abandoned, and nearly picked clean already. She ran to the knife counter and smashed the glass with her boot. A growling noise came from the back of the store and she panicked, grabbing the first knife she saw. She saw the walker walk out from the storage room and make its way towards her. Gripping the knife tightly, she thrusted the knife into the thing's chest, but it kept coming. She backed up, frightened and panicked. She continued stabbing at it, holding it away from her until she stabbed it in the eye. It finally stopped coming.

She grabbed the only other big knife she saw, a combat knife, to go with the survival knife she had grabbed first. There was a small handgun alone on the floor behind the counter and she grabbed it too, along with as much ammo as she could find for it.

She ran back outside and saw the things surrounding her car, pounding on the windows. She could hear Gabe screaming from inside the car, she gripped her knife tightly in her hand and ran forward, jamming in the knife into the nearest one's head. It fell to the ground, and she went for another, until every one of them around her car was dead.

She got in the car and drove straight out of the city, and into the country. She parked the car on the side of the road and loaded her handgun. "What's wrong with those people Lo?" Gabe asked from the backseat. "They're sick. I think. I'm not sure bud, but they're very dangerous, okay? You have to stay away from them, no matter what." He nodded stiffly and curled up in the backseat.

Logan sighed, placing her new gun on the center console, and her survival knife in the cup holder for easy access. Her combat knife laid in her lap as she layed her head on the steering wheel, thinking of a plan.

The sun started setting and she decided they could sleep in the car for now. "Alright Gabe, I think-" she turned around and noticed he was already asleep. She sighed and grabbed the blanket from the backseat floorboard and covered him up with it, before locking the doors and leaning the seat back to sleep herself.

___

Gabriel woke in the middle of the night. He saw movement in the trees on the other side of the road. He opened the door and climbed out, walking across the road. The figure he saw came towards him slowly, though he couldn't make out who or what it was. He was grabbed by the arm, a scream erupting from his throat as he was dragged farther into the trees.

___

When Logan woke up in the morning, she noticed the doors were unlocked and Gabe was gone. She sat up quickly, grabbing her weapons and jumping out of the car. "Gabe! Gabriel! Where are you!" She screamed for him, but there was no answer. Tears filled her eyes, she ran towards the tree line, looking all around her for any signs of him. She nearly collapsed when she saw his jacket lying in the dirt, red blood stains around the collar.

"Gabe!" She searched until the sun set, finding no more sign of him. When dark consumed the forest, she decided she was too far from the road to go back to the car tonight. She climbed up a tree and sat on a thick branch, leaning against the trunk and crying herself to sleep.

Logan searched for days, in the woods and up and down the country roads. She never found any other signs of him. She stuffed the jacket into Gabe's school backpack, angry tears pouring down her cheeks as she drove away from the place of his disappearance.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Zoey Deutch as Logan Dawson

Jacob Tremblay as Gabriel Dawson

The Walking Dead cast as themselves