chapter eight

"Daryl!" Logan cried. She watched as the walkers closed in around him, blood spraying as they tore into his flesh. Logan went wild on the walkers, killing every last one of them. Daryl laid on the ground, blood pouring from his open wounds as he choked on his own blood.

"No. Baby, please don't leave me. Please don't die," Logan whispered. Daryl fumbled over his words, trying to speak clearly.

"I-it's alright baby. You need ta keep goin'." Daryl sputtered. Logan's hand ran across his cheek, tears falling on his skin. "Please don't go," she begged. Daryl coughed, blood covering his lips. "I love ya Logan. So much. Don't forget that."

His eyes closed, letting go of his last breath. Logan screamed out for him, not wanting to believe that he was gone. She held out her gun, knowing what she had to do. She held the gun against his forehead, placing her finger on the trigger. "I'm so sorry."

BANG

Logan sat up in her bed, drenched in sweat. Daryl sat beside her, still sound asleep. Standing up from the small bed, she made her way out of the cell and outside the prison.

She sat on the ground in the cool night air, letting the breeze dry the sweat from her nightmare. Thoughts raced through her head as she replayed the dream. Daryl said he loved me, She thought.

Daryl woke up in Logan's cell, alone. He looked around confused. "Where the hell'd she go?" He mumbled tiredly. He walked around cell block C looking for the short blonde. With no luck, he checked outside the prison.

Logan heard his footsteps before she saw him. She stared straight ahead of her, twirling a blade of grass between her fingers. Daryl sat down beside her and they sat in silence for a while.

"What're you doin' up?" Daryl asked finally. Logan shrugged, suddenly feeling awkward. "I, um, had a nightmare. Decided to get some air." She told him. Daryl couldn't decide if he believed her or not. Her voice cracked as she spoke to him, making him think twice about it.

"Ya wanna talk about it?" Daryl asked, feeling awkward as he asked it. "Kinda. But not with you," Logan said, "No! Wait, I didn't mean it like that!" Logan said frantically. Daryl chuckled, "It's alright. I understand."

They sat quiet for a while after that, before Daryl stood up. "Ya should probably get back to bed. We gotta run tomorrow." Logan looked at him confused, "We do? Since when?" Daryl held his hand out to her, lifting her from the ground. "You'll find out in the morning. Back to bed now girly."

Logan let him pull her back into the prison. Once in her cell she laid down on her bed, pulling her thin blanket up over her. Daryl noticed she was already starting to drift off again and started off towards his own bed.

"You can stay," Logan said quietly, almost quiet enough that she wasn't sure Daryl had heard her. She was proved wrong when he stopped at the entrance of her cell and turned to look back at her. "If you want to, that is. You don't have to though..." Logan trailed off.

Daryl kicked off his boots by her bed, Logan scooted over closer to the wall, making room for Daryl next to her. She patted the spot next to her tiredly. Daryl nervously sat down beside her body as Logan raised the blanket for him to slide under it.

He laid beside her as she slowly drifted off to sleep. "Goodnight Daryl," Logan mumbled tiredly. "Night Logan."

Logan made a bold move, scooting closer until she was up against Daryl's side. Daryl wrapped one arm around Logan's shoulders, holding her close to him. He couldn't get enough of her. The way her body felt pressed up against his, the warmth she provided, or the way she rested her head against his shoulder as she fell back asleep.

___

"I knew it." Glenn said. Carol nodded in agreement, smiling at the scene in front of her. Daryl lay in Logan's bed, both arms wrapped around her. Logan's body curled up against his side, her cheek smooshed against his chest as she lightly snored.

"Should we wake them up? Rick said he wants to leave soon," Beth whispered. Glenn nodded, nudging Carol foward. "You're the aunt, you do it." Maggie nodded in agreement, next to Glenn. Carol stepped forward, lightly shaking Daryl's shoulder to wake him. He woke with a start, trying to sit up, until he realised the weight on his chest. He looked down at the woman that slept against him, raking his hand through her hair.

Carol smiled sweetly at him, "Time to get up pookie." Glenn snorted before breaking into full on laughter. Daryl looked to the door and saw Glenn and Beth also looking at him. Carol looked at Glenn, silently telling him to shut the hell up. He quieted down and Maggie grabbed his arm, dragging him and Beth away.

"Do you want me to wake her up, or do you wanna do it?" Carol asked quietly. "I'll do it," Daryl said gruffly. Carol nodded and stepped out of the cell.

Daryl looked down at Logan, sleeping peacefully on his chest. His fingers tangled in her hair, running through it as he tried waking her up. When he saw her eyes start to flutter he pulled his hand away.

Logan opened her eyes to the black of Daryl's T-shirt. She sat up looking around, wiping the sleep from her eyes. Logan looked to see Daryl sitting up at the front of her bed. "Did- did I sleep on you?" Logan asked nervously. Daryl nodded, "Yeah. I woke up with ya like that."

Logan listened as he talked, his gruff morning voice taking her by suprise. She tried to speak, only to be cut off by Rick's voice. "You guys ready? We gotta get goin'," he said. Daryl nodded, pulling his boots on and tying them. Rick nodded back to him, giving Logan a smile before leaving.

"I'm sorry," Logan said. "Fer what?" Daryl asked confused. "For making you uncomfortable," she said. Logan put her head down in slight embarrassment as she put her own shoes on. Daryl furrowed his eyebrows, "Ya didn't make me uncomfortable." Logan glanced up at him confused as she tied her boot. "Oh, okay then. That's good, I guess?" Daryl chuckled to himself quietly while Logan put her other boot on.

Daryl watched her tie her other boot before they both stood up and exited the cell. They made their way out of the prison together and towards Rick, Glenn, and Maggie. "Let's get goin'." Rick ordered. They climbed into the car, Rick driving with Glenn in the passenger seat, Daryl and Maggie in the back with Logan sitting between them.