Moonflower

These stories do not belong to me, all credits to the author/storyteller.

Long time ago, in a village, there lived a couple. They were poor, and didn't have any children. The couple went to the mayor and asked him if they could perhaps, adopt a child.

But to their disappointment, the mayor told them that they didn't have enough money to adopt one.

So, the couple went back with heavy hearts.

One spring night, when the moon had risen, its light poured into the windowsills of the couple's house.

Suddenly, a moonbeam appeared. "I have heard of your desires of having a child," the moonbeam said. "Here, I will give you my daughter, Moonflower." Then, a light appeared, along with a baby girl, who was holding a ruby.

Shocked and excited, the couple gratefully accepted.

"Take good care of her," the moonbeam said as it disappeared slowly. "I will come back when she is 18 years of age."

And by that, the couple exchanged the ruby for money, to which they gained a lot of. They raised Moonflower to be an elegant and kind young woman, and she was beautiful as well.

One day, Moonflower went to the mayor to ask for children her parents could take care of. She thought that they would be quite lonely when the time came that she would leave them.
The mayor eagerly agreed, and allowed the old couple to adopt a couple of children.

Time flew fast, and Moonflower was now 18. On the night of her birthday, the old couple filled their garden with lanterns, and they celebrated with food and wine.

There was dancing, music, and singing. Then at midnight, a bright moonbeam appeared, and settled at a nearby cherry blossom tree. "I have come to take my daughter," it said. "You have disciplined her well."

Just then, Silvery-white horses with figures on them came from the moon. Everyone looked at them with astonishment. The figures were smiling happily at them. They joined the party, and the music continued.

At the party, Moonflower noticed a young man, who was in fact, very handsome. She smiled at him, to which he returned back. He then led her to a horse. "This horse was the one who led you here, and it will be the one who will take you back as well."

And soon, it was time for Moonflower to leave. The couple said their goodbyes to Moonflower, and hugged her for the last time.

Just when the figures from the moon were about to live, the moon spoke.
"As a reward for taking care of my daughter well, I will allow her to visit you every year on her birthday, along with her husband and children."

And with that, happiness washed over the old couple. They were very happy that they could see Moonflower again.

After waving goodbye, Moonflower, along with the figures from the moon, went back.

With smiles on their faces, the old couple happily lived on, waiting for Moonflower to come visit them again.

heyo! This was kinda late, and I'm sorry for that... I kinda had something important to do, which delayed this one quite a bit. ;;

Anyway, thank you for reading and have a good week!

-elizabeth ⭐