Chapter Seven

Lily wasn't alone, a boy was to her side. As she recalled, the same boy was in the kitchen. The one that didn't talk a lot.

 "I-I never called myself a man." He said, frowning slightly, doing his best to keep up with her fast stride. She was taller than him by a few inches and she probably used that advantage to bully him into doing stuff. "I'm eleven years old. A-And I know that's kinda young. But... so I am. E-Even so! I think what you did was wrong, Lily!"

 "Oh, quiet Parker. Quit being a baby. Now we can play Knights and Dragons. You be the dragon and I'll be the knight." The little girl put the helmet on her head, but it was too big for her. She couldn't see out of the eyeholes, instead, she was looking through the slots that allowed the knight to breathe through the helmet. 

 "But I don't want to be the dragon." He muttered, looking down at the ground.

 "Life's rough kid. Life's rough."

 Jingle looked up at Ryan to judge his expression. His jaw was set, eyes sharpening slightly as he stared at the little girl wearing his helmet. The jester had assumed him to be the type to be calm in these sort of situations... but was she wrong?

 Noticing her gaze, the knight looked down at Jingle and smiled slightly as if to assure her that he wasn't going to pummel that little girl. Not like anyone would actually mind if he did. "Lily." He spoke, the little girl jumped in surprise at his voice. "R-R-R-R-Ryan?" She pulled the helmet off hastily and hid it behind her back like she thought she could still hide it from him. "Being a knight is nothing to make fun of." He stated, extending his hand towards her. "We had to go through rigorous training each and every day, and even after being knighted we have to practice those trainings. Being a knight is an honor, but we cannot allow ourselves to be foolishly prideful." Lily took a step back, and Ryan pressed forward. "We protect the people Lily, and our helmet's protect us. It's very important and-"

 "Ugh. This scrap of metal isn't worth the lecture." She scoffed, throwing the helmet at him. Ryan caught it easily and allowed the girl to run away knowing that Jerrica would have her way with her. But the boy, Parker, stayed. "I'm sorry about Lily, Sir Ryan. I tried to stop her but she wouldn't listen to me." The knight placed a hand on the boy's head. 

 "Not to worry, kid. It's not your fault." The child nodded slightly.

 "Well, I should be getting back to my sister now," He said, about to make his leave before smiling up at Ryan saying, "I'd love to be a knight when I grow up!"

 The two of them watched as Parker left before turning towards eachother. "Well, seems we have solved the case, detective." Ryan said teasingly, before setting the helmet on his head. "I say this calls for a celebration. How about you join me tomorrow night for dinner? I'd invite you today, but I'm on watch." 

 Jingle's heart fluttered a little, an unusual sensation that she didn't quite understand. "Why yes, assistant. I believe that I have no cases that need solving tomorrow." She answered, wondering why she actually had to force herself to keep her voice steady.

 "Great! I'll see you then." He noted before leaving her. A part of her was disappointed that he did not escort her back to her room, but after looking at his hurried stride she realized that maybe he actually wasn't off duty while he searched for his helmet. Which also meant that he had spared a lot of time for her, that he could have used searching. Like, eating with her on the bench, making pleasant conversation, and inviting her for dinner.

 Even though he had been gone for only a few minutes, Jingle had already started to miss being by him as she made her way back to the kitchen. It was dinnertime and what food she had in her stomach was replaced with the need for more.

 But maybe behind all the food was another longing for something else entirely.