Chapter 5

The past week had been so serene it was like a dream or a fairytale. Steve and Bucky had spent as much time as possible in Y/N's home, watching her cook and take care of the various animals that came to her for help. Seeing the gentle way she worked to cause them as little distress as possible warmed the merman and selkie's hearts. However that morning during breakfast they announced that they had to return to the water for a while. They had made plans to meet some of their friends at the reef nearby to catch up, and they wanted to find some treasures to bring back to her, but she didn't need to know that just yet.

With a heavy heart, y/n bade them both goodbye at the small dock and watched as Bucky went through the painful transition back into a merman while Steve slipped back into his seal tail. They had promised to come back as soon as possible.

Taking advantage of the empty house y/n spent the morning doing the washing and cleaning up. Once all the clothes had dried and been folded and packed away and all the surfaces in the house gleamed like freshly polished abalone she hopped through a shower and dressed in denim shorts and a light cotton shirt. After making an extensive list of all the groceries she would need y/n climbed into the small speedboat tied to the dock and sailed to the mainland.The sun had long set by the time y/n docked once more, completely exhausted but happy she didn't have to go back in for a while. Using the light provided by the full moon and copious stars she grabbed a few of the bags from the bottom of the boat before disembarking and slowly walking up to her front door.

All the groceries had been brought inside and y/n was contemplating a long hot bath with a glass of wine and the sushi platter she had gotten when there came a loud crash followed by even louder cursing from the door that led to the natural cave where y/n took care of the animals and did most of her research.

With shaking hands, she grabbed the knife from the butcher's block on the kitchen counter and quietly made her way to the door. Taking a deep, steadying breath she swung open the door and flicked on the light only to stumble back when the intruder swung around. It was Brock Rumlow, her old business partner. "Y/N," he gasped, clearly not expecting to see her. "You weren't supposed to survive."