Undercover

I stood round the corner of the busy cafe, taking in my surroundings. Business women stampeded the streets, hair pinned back tightly, faces stuck in one expression. Men in suits were scattered in bookshops, restaurants and newsagents. Everyone was out for lunch. Perfect.

Alice drifted out, a cigarette tucked behind her ear, her head seemingly elsewhere, almost bumping into three people on her way out. She walked from the chairs outside over to a wall on the other side of the street. Time to move.

I crossed the road and looked into the window of a clothes shop, pulling out a straight from a pack in my bag and trying to look frustrated as I pretended to struggle to find a lighter. I had spent most of the morning practising smoking without looking disgusted, after reading Alice's file and seeing she had the nasty habit. I found the mere smell repulsive, and could barely inhale without feeling queasy, but it was a good icebreaker.

"You got a light?"

I struck her from her daze, "Oh, yeah, sorry." She laughed, flashing me a warm smile as she lit first hers then mine. I leant against the wall and took a drag, resisting the urge to grimace.

"I'm trying to quit but, I just can't bring myself to tear away from them, you know?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

I nodded, grinning, "I've been saying I'm going to quit for months, haven't quite got round to it."

"Alice." Her voice was tuneful and light.

"Cleo. I'm new here and everywhere is so confusing." I frowned, feigning ditziness, "Do you know where I can land a part time job?"

Her eyes lit up. "We have a vacancy in the Breaktime cafe, Just bring a CV in, or don't. I'm not sure you'll need it..." Her face twisted in thought, "but to be safe." She nodded as if to reassure herself.

We chatted until she had finished smoking, before she made sure to reiterate her CV suggestion, and left me by the shop, walking slightly reluctantly into the cafe.

As soon as I was out of sight and ear shot, I took the bottle from my shoulder bag and slugged some water, washing my mouth out and spitting on the road. But it was only after some extra strong gum that my mouth lost the taste of tobacco and my stomach felt steady again.

-

"I'm gonna need a CV." I said to Luke, my eyes meeting his as I walked through the kitchen. He was wearing a fitted black shirt and dark jeans. Something about him made me look twice. I shook my head and walked into my room.

"We have training Cleo." Luke called. I walked back out and glared at him.

"We're on a mission, isn't it a bit late for training?"
I attempted to give him my best back off' look, to which he returned me a class A smirk.

"You're far from prepared for combat Cle, let's be honest."

I glared into his eyes, ignoring the slight heat appearing at the back of my neck. "I don't know if you've forgotten, but I beat you in combat?"

"You beat me because you used a cheap trick, and believe me, it won't happen again." His eyes darkened, but I could see amusement dancing somewhere in his eyes. "There's a gym down the road, we've booked a room. Go and get changed."

I groaned, turning and stalking back into my room. Staring into the mirror and thinking how I'd rather do anything other than what I was being made to do, I hastily tied my hair up, pulled on my gym gear, and walked grumpily back out.

"Where's Jason?" I asked, walking out of the room. Luke looked up, giving me a weird look for a second, before shaking his head and looking away.

"Jason's getting food, shall we go?"