Chapter Eight: Coffee Talk

<Shayne's POV>

My eyes followed Courtney as she hurried out of the room pulling Olivia behind her. I wondered what they were talking about. Maybe me? After what happened this past week, I wouldn't be surprised. But then again a lot had happened this past week so it was a little self centered of me to think that.

I shook my head and turned back towards the rest of my friends, trying to pay attention to their discussion about potential parent companies and buying Smosh back from the bank. It was hard to concentrate though when my thoughts kept returning to Courtney.

After we had kissed at the party I had immediately gone to find Damien. It was a good thing that my best friend also happened to be one of the only sober people at the party. I didn't tell him exactly what had happened, just that I had made a big mistake and that I had messed things up with Courtney. He didn't question me to much about it, but I'm pretty sure he had a good idea of what had happened. I was glad he didn't press me for any details and he told me that everything would be ok, I just had to talk with Courtney about it.

"I can't imagine you guys not working out whatever happened," He said calmly, him hands resting on both of my shoulders. "You guys care about it other too much. You just need to talk it out and everything will be ok."

I had nodded, agreeing with his advice, and glad he had been there to give it. I knew that we really had to talk. I had chickened out when we were cleaning out the office on Thursday, but I couldn't do that again today. We needed to work this out.

I looked up as Courtney and Olivia shuffled back into the room. Courtney was blushing and avoiding my eyes while Olivia was smirking and looking back and forth between the two of us. I was right. They had definitely been talking about me.

"Ok guys, let's be in touch about timing for filming sketches. I think Ryan's gonna fly in from Sacramento next week, so I'll keep you updated." Ian said.

We all nodded, said we'd be in touch and my friends began packing up their stuff, and getting ready to head out. Worried that I would lose my nerve if I didn't act now, I stood up swiftly and made my way around my friends towards Courtney.

"Hey," I said, tugging on her sleeve. "Are you busy after this?"

"Uh, no. Why?" she asked, her voice coming out at a slightly higher pitch than normal.

"We should probably talk, want to go grab some coffee?" I felt my body vibrating with anticipation as I waited for her response.

"Yeah sure," She replied, her voice sounding much more normal this time. "How about we meet at the Peete's down the road?"

"Sounds good," I replied evenly. I walked towards the door with Courtney trailing behind me. Damien caught my eye as I passed him and shot me a subtle thumbs up for encouragement.

We both got into our separate cars and drove to the coffee shop. I pulled up in front of it, right behind Courtney, got out of my car and followed her into the store. After both ordering drinks we went to sit down at a table near the window. I could feel the tension hanging in the air as I gazed across the table at her. She broke the silence first.

"So." She said with a nervous grin.

"So," I replied. My hands were resting on the table in front of me and I fiddled with my fingers restlessly. "We should probably talk about our kiss."

"It seems to be a recurring problem with us, huh?" she joked, and I bit out a laugh which she returned. Her laugh put me a little more at ease, slowing my heartbeat enough to encourage me to dive right in.

"Well first off, I know we were both pretty tipsy at the party and I wanted to apologize for kissing you if-"

"Oh please," Courtney groaned cutting me off, "I practically threw myself at you, if anyone should be apologizing it's me."