14. Valentine

THE MONSTER THAT CRASHED OUR SLUMBER PARTY

''Ivy? Did you hear what I said?'' Cassie asked and my head perked up immediately

I pressed my books tighter against my chest as I left day dreamland and went back to the real world, I named High School.
''Oh, I'm sorry. What?''

''Cassie was telling us about this connection she felt to her father when she held the medallion at the house.'' Diana said and I turned to her as she adjusted her bag over her shoulder.

I nodded and my eyes roamed around at the paper pink hearts displayed all over the walls. Why was everybody kissing?

''Are you okay?''

''Yeah,'' I pinched the bridge of my nose.
Of course it had to be Valentine's Day today.
''I just... I don't feel so good. I keep thinking about this talk that I had with Ethan and-''
''Adam's dad?'' Both girls perked up and then stared at each other. Diana was the first to look down.

''Right. About the ring.'' That one wasn't exactly true.

''The ring you told us about?'' Cassie crossed her arms over her chest as we continued walking through the hallways to class.

''Yes. Apparently Louis Leblanc is somehow connected to your dad and it's just... I keep thinking how. The dude died three hundred years ago.''

Cassie's face went blank until Diana nudged her shoulder.
''The late ring owner. The one Lucy said was with your dad.'' She whispered to her blonde friend.

''Oh, sorry,'' Cassie turned her head from Diana to me. ''I haven't slept much lately. What's with this whole dad thing and the abandoned house. I'm thinking about going back there later and try again. Want to come?''

''To hold a thousand year old artifact under a sign burned in the basement of a creepy abandoned house? Sounds fun, where do I sign?''
Cassie laughed my sarcasm off but waited expectantly for Diana's answer.

However, when we turned to the brunette, she was staring hard at something behind me.

''You're wallowing,'' I said as I turned around and fixed the couple she was watching.
''And I thought PDA was punishable by death in this school.''

''Can't stop two people in love,'' I looked back to Diana as Cassie noticed the couple too. ''Two people who know nothing of the hardships of the world. Who have nothing to worry about but how long they're going to stay together and love each oth-''
''Okay, you're definitely wallowing.'' Cassie backed me up as we came to a stop beside the couple.

''Are you okay?''

''Fine,'' Diana denied that she was in fact, downright depressing about this as she turned back to us with a fake smile.

''Is it Adam?'' Cassie asked with a tilt of her head.

''Or this depressing day in particular?'' I finished for her, only for Diana to look at us with those oversized doe eyes of hers.