18. Sacrifice

SOME PRECIOUS THINGS

''I can't believe they seriously did this

''I can't believe they seriously did this.''

''It was either that or Jake died.'' Faye shrugged and looked down at her cup to add sugar in the coffee.

Melissa was watching from a distance as Cassie and Adam chatted and I looked out the window of the Java Brew.

This morning, I had been told that the elixir that could save Jake wasn't his to take. It was Cassie's and Adam and it had immediately erased their feelings for each other.
Kind of like a memory spell, much like the one I'd done on my mom.

I wrapped my hands around the mug and comforted in the warmth that it brought me.
''I'm sorry about Lee, Faye.'' I felt like I hadn't said that enough since she'd told me that he had died.

''Nonsense,'' She shrugged yet again. ''He unintentionally gave my power to his psycho ex who happened to kill him with it. Happens all the time.''
She brought the cup to her lips and Melissa shook her head.
She'd also told me that Lee had left a message on her phone, and that he had seemed so sad -according to Faye- that she had gone to see him and talk things better.

She'd gotten to the garage, only to find him dead and Eva trying to bring him back with magic, Faye's magic.

''She's still dealing with this.'' Melissa whispered to me for good measure but I didn't think Faye cared that much about Lee to begin with.
Poor guy, he'd been a pain till the end but he didn't deserve, well, that kind of end.

''I've dealt alright. No, I'm on second base already. People die, I've moved on.'' She stirred the spoon in her coffee until a torrent appeared in the black beverage then, she looked down to our own cups.
''Want to make coffee storms?''
She wiggled her eyebrows at the mugs but upon Melissa's and I's collective protest, she dropped the idea. Instead, her gaze fell upon my hand.

''Isn't that the creepy ring that kept disappearing?'' Her finger pointed to the item around my finger.

''It disappeared once, maybe twice, Faye. We found it the very next minute. And yes,'' I held my hand out to her, palm facing the table. ''Turns out it belonged to my family all along. Louis Leblanc is my great great great something.''

Faye scrunched her mouth with distaste as she eyed the ring weirdly.
Not her style, huh?

Melissa, on the other hand, picked up my hand and held it in hers, my fingers propped up on her palm so she could see the ring better.

''Thirteenth century you said? You missed a few 'great''s. But pretty.''

''Pretty?'' Faye scoffed and brought her cup to her lips before taking a big gulp, ''More like creepy. The stone is all cracked up. It looks two minutes away from crumbling to dust.''

''That's what makes it so authentic, Faye.'' I took my hand back and on my cup, and looked around until my eyes found Cassie and Adam again, who were both still talking.