Chapter 28

So uh... Sorry for the wait. Shoutout to Katogee for tweeting me that she was going to die if I didn't update; that actually motivated me. And uh... There might potentially actually only be two chapters and an epilogue left. Dedicated to everyone who asked questions on the last chapter: they'll be answered at the end of this one.

Chapter 28

Our team was on a hot streak, having won the first two games of the State Championship tournament and we were playing like a well-oiled machine with all of our starters back on the field. The opposing team was incredible and both games had ended in extra innings after being tied. It was now a couple of hours after the second game, and Ashton and I were at Al’s for a date. Marcy had been swooning over Ashton in his baseball uniform since we’d gotten here a few minutes ago, and it was cracking me up. As she was coming back to our table with our drinks, we heard her telling Al to come check out Ashton’s biceps because ‘he sure as heck isn’t that sweet little boy we used to know.’

Al came out of the kitchen rolling his eyes and came over to us, shaking Ashton’s hand. “Good to see you again, kid. Just stop trying to steal my woman.”

Ashton grinned, his dimples appearing. “I mean no harm, Al. You know how it is when the ladies can’t get enough of you.” He shot me a wink as he finished speaking.

Marcy, whose hair was now mint green, fanned herself dramatically. “Sweetheart, if your mother wasn’t so dear to my heart I’d have to take you to the back room.”

Ashton blushed a deep red color and I laughed at Marcy. “I’m in the same boat as Al. Stop trying to steal Ashton from me, Marcy,” I said in fake anger.

Marcy huffed and swatted me gently with the dishtowel she always had in her hands. “You and Al are no fun!”

Al shook his head at Marcy adoringly. “Hon, go check on your other tables and stop harassing these two.” Once she waltzed off, he looked back at us and grinned. “Your meals will be on me today since you had to deal with that,” he chuckled.

“No, Al, I can’t let you do that,” Ashton protested firmly.

“You can and you will.”

“I’ll tip Marcy whatever the price of our meals would have been.”

“You do that and she’ll be thinking you’re flirtin,’ kiddo.”

“Look, I just don’t want you to pay for us when I can.”

“Ashton Fletcher Irwin,” Al gave him a stern look. “Stop trying to defy me because you know it’ll never work out in your favor.” He gave me a soft smile. “Ellery, you better control your boy before I give him a whooping.”

I laughed and shrugged a shoulder. “He doesn’t listen to me.”

Al shook his head and pointed at Ashton. “Boy, let me give you a piece of advice my father gave me when I was a boy. If you’re trying to keep your lady happy, you best listen to her, because ninety-nine percent of the time, she’s gonna be right.” He patted Ashton on the shoulder and headed back to the kitchen.

I smiled at Ashton. “Looks like you’d better listen to Al and listen to me.”

He just reached across the table at locked my hand in his, a content look on his face. I could tell that Al being fatherly with him had really meant a lot to Ash. His own father wasn’t around and hadn’t been for some time. Ashton had told me once that all he can remember of his own father was an intense love for baseball. All I knew was that Karen had done an incredible job in raising her son all by herself.