Chapter Two

Heading into the mine, Hider felt confident. The mines offered him a security that the above ground couldn't, even with all of the monsters.

He quickly caught up to White, Matty and Ink, who were waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hider and I go this way, and you two go that way?" White asked, indicating he and Hider would go down the left passage, which later split into two more passages. While Matty and Ink would go down the right passage, which was the same as the left, just the opposite direction.

"Sure. I'm sick of going that way anyway." Matty replied, pointing down the left passage, before swiftly turning and walking down the right. Ink followed shortly after.

"Okay. We need to talk." White said, once they were out of earshot. The two began walking.

"Can't we work at seperate places? It's not like we need to work together." Hider replied.

"Yeah, well, I doubt that Achilles would want two slaves anyway." White snickered. The two reached the end of the hallway. "Okay, winner gets the choice of who goes where. Ready?" He asked, extending his arm.

"Ready." Hider replied, also reaching his arm forward.

"Rock.." White said, as they both raised their hand.

"Paper.." Hider said, as they again raised their hand.

"Scissors!" The two replied, each making a gesture in their hand.

Hider had scissors.

But White had rock.

"Yes!" White shouted! Boasting proudly about his win. "That's 7 to 4, up your game, man!"

"Yeah, yeah. Just tell me which way you want to go." Hider said, clearly eyeing the right way.

"Hmm.." White thought deep in concentration. The left way usually had abundant ores, like coal and redstone, the right was more smelting ores, like iron and gold. "I can see you're eyeing the right way. So I'll be nice today."

Hider looked up hopefully.

"You're going left today." He concluded.

"Aw man." Hider said as White mock cried, and they split up.

Idiot. Hider thought, as it was actually his plan to go the left way. He had been eyeing the right, assuming White would pick the one he thought Hider wanted less. He grinned, and continued onward.

Descending further into the depths of the mine, Hider had a moment to appreciate the life he had: the village offered him protection, and unnecessary comforts. He had plenty of friends, too many to count. And he essentially had free reign over what he could do.

He liked it that way.

The group normally made it a challenge, where most quantity and best quality won. So for the more abundant ores, like coal, redstone and lapis, they had a lower score. The scores are:

Coal: 1 point per individual coal.
Gold: 3 points per individual ore.
Gold 2: 2 points per individual gold found. (EG spawners, mob drops, ETC)
Iron: 5 points per individual ore.
Iron 2: 3 points per individual iron found. (EG spawners, mob drops, ETC)
Redstone: 1 points per individual redstone.
Lapis Lazuli: 2 points per individual lapis lazuli.
Diamond: 10 points per individual diamond.
Emerald: 10 points per individual emerald.

There was also Nether Quartz, which was worth 4 points per individual Nether Quartz, because they usually wouldn't have enough time to get to the nether, grab nether quartz, and get back in time for scores.