14

I quietly crept through the silent streets of Gotham. It wasn't much different at nighttime, the people weren't any friendlier, though there was a sufficient amount asleep. Selina charmed the Gotham Bank door boy into "accidentally" leaving the back door open. We slunk in and Harley quickly rendered the guards unconscious before they set off the alarm. We loaded three bags of money and dashed out. Just in time to see the Batman.
"I saw Helena slinking around. I figured you were with her."
Selina and Harley glared at me.
"I've let you off for awhile now, but I think it's time you went back to Arkham." He rumbled.
Selina sashayed up to the Batman and whispered something to him, then kissed him deeply. When she pulled away, he looked both shaken and lustful. He coughed awkwardly.
"All right, I'll let TWO of you go, but you can only take half the money you grabbed." He allowed.
Selina and Harley looked at each other. Harley nodded.
"I'll go, B-man. Here's my loot." She said, dropping the cash in front of him.
He handcuffed her, put the money inside, and dragged her off. Selina and I walked back to the hideout in silence. Once we almost there, I looked at Selina.
"Why did you let Harley go?" I asked.
"She knows the Joker will come get her." She said stiffly.
"Oh." I whispered.
We reached the warehouse and went to the expecting group of criminals.
"Where's Harley?" The Joker queried irritably.
I hung my head.
"Helena got us caught, and I convinced Batman to let us go. But he only did it on certain conditions." She explained, clearly restraining her anger towards me.
The Joker looked enraged. He glared daggers at me.
"You let my Harley get caught?! You imbecile! I ought to skin you alive! I oughta..wait." He paused.
He composed himself.
"This is your first time slipping up, so I'll let it go. The next time you screw up, I'll kill your family. Capiche, you dumb brat?" He told me.
I gulped.
"Yes sir." I nodded.
I sighed once the crowd cleared.
"I really screwed up." I thought to myself.
I pulled a lovely brooch from the bag. It reminded me of Mina.
"I'm going to give this to her. Hopefully she still lives with Mum." I thought again.
I scampered off towards the life I left behind. Upon my arrival, I climbed up the outdoor stairwell. I peered into the third floor window. I saw a teenage girl studying on her bed. I rapped on the window. She looked startled, even more so when she saw me, but she opened the window anyways.
"Who are you? What do you want?" She questioned.
She sounded afraid.
"Mina, it's me, Alaina." I said, wincing at my real name.
I had to use it though, she didn't know me as Helena.
"Alaina..? You came back?" She asked.
She had tears in her eyes.
"Yes, and I have something for you." I told her.
I pinned the brooch to her shirt. She fingered it thoughtfully.
"It's beautiful, thank you." She said.
"Is mum here?" I asked her.
She threw her arms around me.
"Oh Alaina, you didn't know, did you?!" She cried.
"Know what?!" I panicked.
I hugged her, in an attempt to soothe her.
"Mum is..mum is..gone." She sobbed.
I sat down with her on the bed, stroking her hair.
"When did it happen?" I asked.
"A week ago. She told me I was old enough to live alone. She split for Europe, telling me to hope for you." She explained, sniffling.
I hugged her tightly.
"I'm here now. I'll never abandon you." I promised.
She laid on her bed, hugging a teddy bear.
"Mina, I must warn you. I'm a criminal. And I've made some enemies with other criminals. They will come for you. If you need me, I'll be at 460 Davidson Drive. I must go for now, lock your windows and doors." I said gravely.
She nodded, afraid. I jumped out the window and into the night.