12 |:| Taiga Soldier

"You're getting slightly more daring, but your strength and stamina are still low," Yamarashi stated while taking a sip of water as Ryunoa laid on the floor, completely worn out after three hours of training.

"Your durability will increase as time progresses. It's still the beginning after all."

"Yes!" the girl replied.

"Kayosu, you should head to the showers and continue your schedule. Chief Endou might call you later in the day to help with some chores," Chief Shidare grinned as Ryunoa lifted herself from the ground.

"Okay. . ."

It was only the third day of the internships as Ryunoa already felt drained. She was far from home and couldn't contact anyone from her devices. She was stuck on the edge of the archipelago, in the middle of the burning forest. 

Pulling out a piece of paper from her pocket, she read her daily schedule. Right after training, she had two hours of break time before returning to intern-assignments. She headed to the archives, which was empty that time of day. Taking out her journal, she reviewed some quirk-moves that she planned on attempting during her free time.

The Northern Military base held part of the Japanese Air Force, which took place in a different wing of the property; therefore, the study hall was lined with aerodynamic textbooks explaining flight physics. Ryunoa was confident that she'll be able to read the textbooks, but she gave up after the first page.

"Nope. . . I can't do it," she sighed and placed the book aside. She peaked out the window into the courtyard and noticed that it was empty, before deciding to grab her stuff and make her way into the wild.

Setting her opened-journal on the grass, she placed her palms on the ground as her body hunched over, "I'll create arms to use it as a guide. . ."

Two arms sprouted from her shoulder-blades before a few more branched out, creating a rough frame of bird wings. She scanned her sketches of a bird's anatomy, visualizing the peculiar movements of its joints that would allow it to fly. 

She focused as the arms folded into each other, feeling the pressure building up in the tendons. Slowly, she added more Stem-Cells to create elastic skin-tissues between the structure of arms, completing the wings.

"S-So heavy. . . !" Ryunoa grunted and added more cells to the frames, making it sturdier to substitute the bones. She closed her eyes shut and pursued, loosening her body and expecting to feel the grass disappear from her touch.

"That's no good, Kayosu," said Kobayashi, watching from the porch. Ryunoa let out a huff as her movements stopped. "Your wingspan is too short, and there's instability in the areas that carry the most weight."

The girl sat on her knees with a worn-out expression as she stared at the doctor. Her eyes returned to the grass, "some of my classmates have advantages in the air. I . . . just wanted to find a way to hold them off somehow."

"That's alright. You're beginning to consider the many possibilities of battle. Perhaps it's because you've been spending a lot of time with military officials, so we can't help but provoke a sense of assertiveness within you," Kobayashi said while walking towards her. "Let me take a look at your wings."