Ch. 5

Next up: Peter/Tony reunion!!!!!!!

Yay.

Hope you enjoy this chapter.

It's a bit longer than the last few, so yeah.

"You said Steve was back."

Peter's head shot up at the familiar voice.

He turned to Steve, who waved his hand toward the door. "Go on. He's been moping for long enough."

The teen peered around the frame, a small smile overtaking his face when he saw that it was, in fact, his mentor sitting on a folded blanket against the wall, legs stretched out in front of him.

"He is," Natasha said firmly. "Him and the kid are literally right out there."

"Actually, we're right here," Steve said brightly.

The group turned as one to see them.

There was Natasha, Tony, and another guy that Peter recognized with a jolt, was Bruce Banner.

Then his gaze went back to his mentor.

Tony was smiling widely. "Hey kiddo." His voice was slightly choked. "C'mere so I can hug you properly."

The teen crouched by the edge of the blanket, leaning into the hug, loathe to let go.

"Thought we weren't there yet," he whispered, breath catching in his throat.

"Shut up and let me hug you."

"So this is Natasha," Tony pointed to the red and blonde headed woman. "But you already know that. Then over here," he waved his hand to the strawberry blonde woman. "Is Pepper. But you know that too. Big blondie is Steve Rogers. Guy on lookout is Clint Barton. This idiot right here," he pointed to the sleeping figure in the corner. "Is my best friend, James Rhodes. Or Rhodey, if he likes you."

"Love you too Tones," the tired voice was exasperated.

"And I think that's it. Oh. Except for Bruce." He waved his hand at the other. "Brucey-bear! This is Peter, my mentee and/or intern. Used to be. Pete, this is-"

"Bruce Banner!" Peter interrupted, grinning eagerly. "You're like the greatest scientist in the world!"

"What am I?" Tony asked indignantly. "Chopped liver?"

"You're awesome too, Mr Stark! But he's- he's Bruce Banner. You're- well, you."

"I get it, kid. Hero-worship's already worn off for me, hm?"

Peter blushed. "Well- I mean- but you're Mr Stark! You're- you're you."

"I think we've established that," Tony grinned softly.

"Oh hush. I meant that- well, I actually know you. I'm comfortable around you. That's all."

Tony pulled the teen into a side hug. "That is fine with me."

"So, Peter. Tell us a bit about yourself."

Peter looked up from his backpack, eyes searching Steve's face. "What do you want to know?"

The blond smiled gently. "Anything you'd like to tell us."

The teen glanced at Tony, who gave him a reassuring nod, and then back at Steve. "I'm sixteen, I've been on my own for almost two years now."

Steve whistled. "That's young."

Peter huffed. "I'm just as capable as any of you."

"I know. I wasn't implying that, it's just- wow."

Peter looked at his hands, not knowing what to say.

A hand rested on Peter's arm, drawing his attention back to Tony. "You okay, kiddo?"

Forcing a smile, Peter nodded stiffly. "Yup. Fine. Just peachy."

Tony frowned, eyes searching Peter's face. "Talk to me," he requested. "Please."

The teen glanced around quickly, noticing the gazes on them. "Not- not here. Too many people."

Tony nodded, face dawning in comprehension. "Wanna walk out with me to take over lookout? It's just sitting there and watching for threats. We can talk there."

"You're hurt," Peter mumbled. "You really shouldn't be moving around."

"All right then, Dr Parker," the inventor teased. "Don't worry kiddo. I'll be fine. As long as you give me a hand. Or a shoulder."

Peter hesitated for several seconds, then gave in with a sigh. He did want to talk to Tony without people listening in.

"Yeah. Okay. Uh-" he fidgeted awkwardly. "Should you tell the others where you're going?"

"Ugh... fine. Steve."

The big blonde looked up. "Yeah?"

"Me and the kid are taking over lookout. It isnt strenuous, okay?" He added the last part as Steve opened his mouth, frowning slightly. "We're just going to talk. He's going to help me, and you can be sure he won't throw me to the zombies."

"Zombies?" Peter shook his head. "That is so cliche."

"Oh yeah? Well I'm just dying to know what you call them."

Peter pulled Tony's arm over his shoulder, walking slowly. "Lurkers. They lurk in the shadows, then come out and try to eat you."

"Hmm." Tony pursed his lips. "Needs a bit of work."

Peter scoffed. "It's better than zombies. Literally anyone could've called them that. Everyone does. And it's so annoying!"

The genius shook his head, laughing slightly. "Only you, Pete," he began wryly. "Could be in a zombie apocalypse and complain about what they're called."