~Chapter One~

If you guys are interested in learning more about me as an author, a writer, or even a person come over to my Instagram account. I post quotes from my stories, little aesthetic stationary layouts, and more. So if that rings your little bell please follow me @anri_the_writer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everywhere I look I see nature make wonderful songs, kids playing amongst themselves, and cars honking their horns to tell the other driver to stop driving like they are in some action movie. And all around me, there are people that are holding hands with others, kissing each other and doing other affectionate things to their partners.

I bet you that these people think they are the main character of some romantic film. These supposed couples ranged from all over, young, old, different races, and even the same genders. They all seemed so happy at this very moment with their beaming smiles and their blushing faces but, I guess that wasn't for everyone.

I was heading back home when I decided to stop by the deli and pick up some snacks and I walked past a restaurant with a couple sitting on the outdoor seating.

They looked mad, a man and a woman in their mid-30's or so, yelling at each other across the table. "How could you cheat on with that man, when we were so happily married and in love?"

"There you are going at it." The woman yelled back as she pushed herself backward on her chair crossing her arm. "I am not satisfied with you, so I just moved on." The smirk that she was giving him made me remember something I wish I hadn't.

"But that can't be true." The guy said as he shook his head fiercely and continued, "No, I love you."

"Bye, hope to never see you again." The lady got up and started to run to this other guy smiling smugly at the now ex-husband. I watched her go into that guy's car giving the other guy the finger as she drove off.

Once I looked back at the husband he just sat there crying into his hands. Poor guy.

I don't get people and in always saying how love is such a great thing but, love always ends with heartbreak, one way or another. Just look at the poor dude.

I sighed and continued on my way back home. I walked up to a small and worn-out apartment building. I opened the door to my house and yelled out, "I'm home mom."

It took a while for me to get a reply back but, it wasn't mom it was Choco, my dog. He came running pushing me down to the floor and licking me. I laughed as I got back on my feet. "Hello boy, how you been doing?" I rubbed his head and smiled down at him and his tongue hanging out, "Where is mom?"

He wagged his tail and started to run towards the kitchen. I followed Choco and saw him standing next to the dining table wagging his tail even more. I looked on the table and saw a note that read, "I know today was supposed to be my day off but, they called me in to fix a mistake they made. See you at 10."

I smiled sadly at Choco and said to him, "I guess it's just the two of us like usual."

I opened the pantry and grabbed a bag of chips and some treats for Choco himself and walked into the cramped living room.

The living room had a small window that was covered by a light blur curtain that stained the room in a soft blur hue when the sun is shining through the east when the sun is rising in the morning. The couch was my comfortable place, the cushioned couch that was grey in color. Then the tv on the wall with the kitchen on the other side. And in between the couch and the tv was a small coffee table that I always manage to bang my pinky toe on every time I pass through the living room.

I propped my foot on top of the small coffee table in front of me and started to channel surf through the tv channels. Choco laid next to me, his head resting on my lap and I pat it. I gave him his treat so; we can enjoy the quiet house with the tv playing in the background. At first, I was somewhat interested in the show but, at some point, I ended up drifting off to sleep.

"Hey, Mark, wake up." I started to hear someone say as I slowly became conscious again.

"Give me another minute." I moaned as I pushed the hand shacking my shoulder back and forth.

"Oh well then, I guess I will eat dinner all by myself." I shot my eyes wide open and jumped up, accidentally scaring Choco making him bark at me.

I yawned and got up to follow mom into the kitchen and sat on the table. The kitchen was small, barley having enough counter space but just enough to hold all our extra appliances. And right under the small window in the middle of the kitchen we put a small three-person table, we call our dining room.

Mom brought Chinese food and I yelled in my mind, it this seriously the food I woke up for?

After we finished eating, I kissed mom's cheek and gave her a warm hug. "Sorry, mom but I am still feeling sleepy."

She pushed off of the hug but kept her grip on my shoulder, "That's fine Mark. I will come to join you in the room, later on, I just need to make a few more business calls." She said as I looked into her sleep deprived eyes.

"Still, I thought you were done," I complained; I was starting to get very tired of seeing my mom looking like this every day.

"I know but it will die down soon when the job employs another person in my unite. Our magazine unite team had a lot of people who quit." She sighed.

"I wish there was some way I could help," I said sadly holding mom's hand tightly.

"You being here is the biggest help I could ever ask for." Mom said with a smile but, I knew that isn't 100% true and I hated that all the words she spoke were to just reassure me and not help explain her hardships to me wholeheartedly.

"You really need to raise your expectations because that is total shit," I said under my breath.

"Just go to sleep. You have an early day tomorrow." She said pulling out her phone and dialing a number.

"And I'd say the same for you too," I said smiling warmly at mom and went back to bed.

I jumped into bed and looked up at the ceiling and laughed to myself. With mom working to support both of us, her losing her sanity every passing day to keep food in my stomach. All this just because of him. Love is such a joke and people fall for it all the time.