Episode 6 - Hopes for Spring

King's Landing

King's Landing: In the Dungeons

"I was wondering if you would have been arrogant enough to come here" Cersei was sitting on the ground, in her cell, in the darkness. She was not used to the light anymore, and had to close her eyes when Daenerys had entered the prison with a torch.

"We have never talked. But I have heard about you and I wanted to know you." said Daenerys politely. 

Cersei growled "You arrogant little bitch, you feel like you won, don't you?"

"You say "think" because you hope that Tyrion and Varys will either kill me or render me insane?" replied Daenerys patiently.

Cersei realised the queen knew everything, and she was truly trapped, there was no way out.

"You didn't think I knew..." Daenerys was reassured by the fact that clearly Tyrion was Cersei's last hope to subvert the current situation.

"Well...You get to rule now. Do you think it is easy?" said Cersei with  disgust.

"No, I have never thought such a thing."

"They are all stupid. Tiny industrious little ants, always whirring; without giving you anything in return, they want to be safe, want to have a home, food, clothes. They are useless to the world, and to themselves. Stupid, worthless, could not do anything of use in their entire lifetime. Yet they want to live. And want you to give them a good life. They need a tyrant, to crush them, dominate them, and that is the only way they could live. "

"Is this what you think of your people?"

"Oh don't be stupid, not of my people: I think that of all people. Only few of us are worth to be in this world, have the capacity to lead this swarm of lives. They do not give me nothing, why should I make an effort to make them happy?"

"You just told me I have the capacity to lead them? Was that a compliment?"

"I despise you with all I have. And you despise me. But we are more similar than what you think."

"What do you mean?"

"We were sold by men to other men. And we overturned our doom. We both had to survive our children. The hurt we went through fuelled our fight, didn't quench it. We both like power. And you are the only one who couldn't look at me horrified for having loved my brother.".

"No" Daenerys was pensive "if Viserys hadn't sold me, I would have had to marry him. And even now..." she stopped, for it was not the time to reveal who Jon was. She continued "I have never thought we had so much in common. Although probably the difference between us is the motivation for our actions. You want power to have power, there is no higher purpose to it, if not being above everyone, having everyone's life in your hands, almost as if it was a childish whim of yours."

"Why? Why do you care about others?"

"I think that, oppressing our people, we pay a price higher than the privileges that we gain. They will hate us, and we would be alone, and in danger. The fact that you seem not to hear their cry cannot be true, you must hear it, and fight yourself not to listen. They are not ants, they are people like you. If not, we would not be queens, we would be gods. You forgot what it is to be human." She lowered her voice, which now was as a caress to the ears, and emotional and deep "I have been through what they have been through, and when I free people, I see they are happy, nurtured, seeing felicity in their eyes, makes me feel like I have a purpose, that my life had a reason for being. It is the atonement for what my family had done."