Chapter 1

Dreams. Dungeons. Destiny.

"Come on, princess!"

I giggled as I climbed up the old wooden stairs. Today was the first boxing match in the kingdom, and everyone was excited. I had gotten up extra early to see the game from the best spot in the domain. My best friend trailed behind me in exhaustion and worry.

 I was not supposed to step outside the castle without my guards at all times, but my mother and father (the king and queen) never let me see the boxing matches. They believe it is too dangerous for me to watch, and I would have the desire to become one of them. I  try to reassure them that I will be safe, but they are stubborn. I love them both, regardless of how annoying they may get.

"Princess, please slow down. The match does not start until a few minutes," my best friend Akira Clover complains, huffing as she halts on the many steep steps. I have been best friends with Akira for as long as I can remember. Her mom is the head of security in the castle, and Akira assists me. She is the laziest person I have ever met, but I know she will always be by my side no matter what.

I reached the top of the musty tower, opening the old wooden door. Akira and I have customized the top of the building so it could be our little hangout. The Old Tower is a nice escape from the castle and my many responsibilities. 

The room was a decent size. We painted the walls white and put an oversized fluffy brown couch up against the back of the wall. Directly in front of the lovely couch is a large circular window that looks out to the boxing stadium, where we can see the whole thing. 

To the side of the windows, we put a small bookcase on one side for me and a shelf full of snacks from Akira. We added white lights all around the room, making it all the better. The room is encased with magic, so only Akira and I could enter. We were the only ones willing to go into this creepy-looking tower anyway.

"Princess-"

I narrow my eyes. "What do I always tell you, Akira?" She came into my view, reaching the top of the stairs with a picnic basket. I stepped aside so she could come in. The door shut itself. 

"You always tell me- to never use your books as a weapon."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I always tell you that, but I also tell you to call me Blue."

She hangs her head in shame. "Sorry, just used to it, I guess." She ran her hands through her hair and sat on the couch, tired from all the stairs we had to go up.

"It's fine, Akira." I say, "Let's just open the picnic basket." She nods, getting the small white table from the corner and setting it in front of the couch. I take our sandwiches, water, salad, and chocolate cake from the basket. My hands clumsily yank off the cloak I had on to disguise myself, setting it on the couch. Akira sets the food nicely on the table, taking out silverware, napkins, and plates from her side of the tower.

"Do you think this is enough food?" she asks. 

I look at her, biting my lip. "I don't know. We do eat a lot." She surprised me by taking more food out of the basket and placing it on the table.

We both look at each other and laugh. 

I glanced at the clock on the wall. It is almost time. I rushed to the window, looking across to see the stadium filled with everyone from the kingdom. The line to get in is ridiculously long. I adjusted the window so we could zoom in to see the ring.

"Oh! Who do you think is fighting today?" Akira asked. The ring is large, with a red square and invisible robes for protection.

I shrugged, going over to her side of the castle. Huffing, I sit down, getting comfortable on the soft couch. I pile my plate with food, my mouth salivating at the smell of everything.