O N E

"Alright everyone today's the day!" A voice sounded over the banging of pots and pans, "Come around, come around I got a few words for ya!" The brunette girl yelled with her lucky scarf tied around her neck, the golden initials shining in the kitchen lighting. The dark red cloth contrasted with her bright white chef uniform as she stood atop an empty crate, yet hardly above the heads of the others with her height at 5'2. "It has been a challenging ten years but the day has finally come. Shortly after opening an inspector will be coming, we need to produce the best foods of our lives tonight, so I won't keep you guys any longer, work hard, chins up, Chalabange!" A total of fourteen chefs applauded her all wearing the required white chefs uniform. Some cooks where helping as well, with them wearing yellow scarfs to show their apprenticeship.

The Michelin Stars have rolled there way for the first time, tensions with other competitors rise, anxiety gripped head chefs alike, and the papers were waiting to demolish or create someone's history. It was the greatest moment to be awarded a star; newspapers, journalists and foreigners would flock to the renowned restaurant if their dreams were to become reality. "All right everyone, let's get to work." The cooks continued their prep while the head chef, with her scarf tied tightly, proceeded to skip around making sure the kitchen and dining area were to her specifications. Exiting the bustling workroom she went towards the waiters who stood in a line at the front of the dining room, waiting for her instructions for the evening, having dressed the tables already. "Alright we have to treat this evening with extreme caution, its not everyday we have a shot at getting a star. Make sure to keep your cool and remember... stars equate to glory"

The servers and the hostesses nodded and started towards the doors to unlock them, their Victor Black Tailcoat Tuxedo Jacket adding an authentic atmosphere only found in the particular restaurant. The Chalabange cornered a street in New York and had put the other architectures to shame. It was topped with a glass dome with brick walls on the sides. The doors were pure oak and had brilliant gold handles. Outside the entrance, doors were covered with a little canopy with a red velvet carpet underneath to trap dirt before it enters the white marble flooring of the dining room. The seating area and the hostess desk was separated with a glass panel covered in etched roses; there were booths small and large with tables in the middle of the room. Windows adorned the brick walls on the two sides, which gave the room a spacious feeling. This is it, my ticket to the big league, Charlotte thought to herself.

All the hard work was leading to this moment. From childhood her father pushed her to be the best, with him being a cook he shared his knowledge and gave her the passion to finish culinary school. Becoming the most successful of the family, her father kept the café in London until his passing. Her mother was a strict businesswoman but managed to finance and run her fathers dream without going into bankruptcy. With both of their knowledge she was bound to greatness, as long as she tried hard and never gave up. Her mother and father passing at the grand opening of the restaurant was a blow to her and left her out of the flow for some time. The original chefs quit a few months after, claiming her lack in gusto would make it impossible for the restaurant to have a future. As soon as they quit hundreds of applications came in and a new batch of cooks and chefs were hired. Her old school friends came to help her and so the restaurant got sorted out, financial issues gone and newer and better equipment bought. The place finally made it into the spotlight, 'The new Chalabange has gotten into the Groove: Stirs Trouble for other Competitors', 'No Restaurant tops the Famous Chalabange', 'Ever wanted a perfect date? Go to Chalabange now', 'Chalabange only accepts reservations but is truly worth it: Page 10 to Know Why'. Newspapers showered the eatery in lime light, letting every known business quake at their knees for the new competition. With the Michelin Star acceptance letter still in Charlotte's breast pocket, she went back into the kitchen.