N I N E

Morning came as quick as that blasted rooster started to crow again. But who am I to complain, in the months I have lived here I haven't done a thing to get rid of the bird.

I made sure to check the room, the floor, the window, the bed coverings, and the nightstand to make sure those annoyances did not plan on sabotaging me as well. Last night had reminded me of how those fury devils could cause chaos to the tenth degree. But that was in the past so one would believe they would have gotten over that silly phase of ruining everything... guess not.

Checking the floor one more time, I stand up. But it had not been barley two seconds after standing that I heard a distant yell.

Maybe that damn rooster finally croaked.

Proceeding into the bathroom to freshen up another yell could be heard.

This morning has just become stranger and stranger by the minute.

Walking out of the bathroom, toothbrush in hand, I walk to the window looking over the rolling meadow and to the right was a small view of Charlotte's home. Amazing to think that we had only met yesterday. Yet, we act so relaxed around each other it would appear that they were together for years.

It was definitely an ego booster to think she was enamored with me and it was a nice bonus to think that Bea was not the only path to choose. The world had given me a second chance and I was not going to mess it up.

Hearing another yell that definitely was human I looked over at the white house. What was before my eyes made my mouth drop wide open. Toothpaste drooled out but that was the least of my problems. Charlotte had been what appeared to be thrown out of her home.

She lay on the gravel driveway and had her back facing the stairs leading to the front door. And what surprised me even more was the fact that there were five little beasts running around her seeming to scatter back into nature.

Enough of staring at her, it was time to act.

Putting the toothbrush down back in the bathroom and spitting out the remaining paste in his mouth I raced out of the bedroom. Scaling the stairs I tried to go as fast as I could. Not being in best physical health was finally catching up to me. Finally making my way over to her I could tell something was definitely amiss here.

Her hair was damp looking and she was wearing a black oversized shirt with grey shorts. She seemed like she was just going about her business. No knives were lying around which meant she had not threatened the nuisances. So why did they attack her?

I peered at her body to make sure she was all right besides having been thrown into the gravel. Taking a double take at her left leg I immediately knew something was wrong. Blood was seeping out of used to be healing scabs and the miniature rocks where embedding themselves in her skin. Crouching down beside the girl's head I put my hands on the sides of her face. "What happened here?"

"They... they," Her voice was trembling; from pain or anger it was hard to tell. "They got back at me for throwing a knife at them." She broke out into a sly smile.

I deadpanned.

This was my greatest fear. From personal experience having those devils create a living hell was possibly the worst thing that has ever happened.

Besides getting fired from my job, this would share the worst day award.

I helped the lady to her feet, well foot. The other leg was in no condition to be used, and tried to clean her clothes of gravel. She was silent for the most part but I did not ask any more questions. The best thing now was to keep the pests away from Charlotte and take her back to my house to clean out her injuries.