Chapter 3

I ran for my life, not looking back. I finally reached the end of the street. It looked like it had already been through hell.

I saw the lights, flashing a white color, while the Controllers searched the area for the normal.

Afraid of being seen by any Controller, I stopped at a house at the end of my street, opened the fence gate, and hid in their treehouse, thinking it was empty, and already searched through. But when I climbed up there a little girl, about my age, was curled up in the corner with a knife in her hand.

"Don't come any closer! I have a weapon, and I'm not afraid to use it!" Her voice trembling with fear.

"I'm not injected. I live on this street..."

The girl slowly started uncurling to where her white hair wasn't guarding her face.

She had beautiful blue eyes, staring at me, stunned to see another surviver.

"You're not injected, either?" She reassured me.

"Yeah," I began to crawl closer. "But, my dad was, and my mom, well, I'm not so sure about her safety at this moment."

"Your dad is injected? But not your mother?" She asked confused.

"My dad died about thirty minutes ago. My mom just...disappeared."

"Left you, too?"

"Too?"

Now I was confused.

"Your mom also disappeared?"

"Both. I just hid in my treehouse when I heard the sirens on the other side of our street."

"Oh. Well," I began to gain her trust. "My name's Cameron. Cameron Nitton."

"Arctic Vallor."

"Arctic, I like that name."

She smiled, "Thank you."

"So, is anyone with you? Like getting anything?" I scooter next to her.

"Yes, my older brother, Andrew. He's shoving his throat and bag with food."

"Sounds like a guy to me," I chuckled.

"He's coming back any second now. He should be-"

"Arctic! I got a lot of things, not just foo-" a boy that looked like he was the same age, looked at me with terror in his eyes. "Who the hell is he?" Andrew asked.

"Cameron Nitton."

"Oh, you're that dude that lives down the street from us," he relaxed a bit. "Yeah, nevermind. Got a nervous for a second."

"What'd you get?" Arctic asked.

"Well," Andrew slid a wooden plank in the place of the entrance. "I got fruit, like apples, applesauce, oranges, bananas, oh, grapes, and I got some lunchmeat, here's turkey," Andrew slid out a pack of deli meat. "These people only eat healthy! Although, I found some dark chocolate," he unwrapped the chocolate and bit into it. "Ugh, too healthy. Hate dark chocolate!"

"I'll take an apple," Arctic reached over and crunched her way into a Granny Smith. "Ooh, sour. Love it!"

"Want any? You can have some. In fact, take two!" Andrew exclaimed, "We have plenty."

"No, one thing every time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We need to conserve this as best as we can," said Arctic.

"Chillax, sis. I can scavenger for more, later."

"No, we need to stay out of sight as best as we can."

"We're fine!"

"Andrew, how long until we run into Controllers and get injected? This is like an apocalypse, like on TV."

"Like a zombie apocalypse?"

"Well, just with injected people."

"Sweet!"

"Not sweet!"

"Sour?"

"Ugh...how did mom and dad let you drive?"

"Because I'm sixteen, now."

"Just, keep up, buddy."

We all took it easy for about an thirty minutes. The sirens finally faded away, and we were safe to travel.

"Act like an injected if you have to come across one." Arctic demanded, "Got it?"

"We're good," I spoke.

"Oh, so you do speak," Andrew grinned.

And we were off, facing the world, running away, like my mom had told me to do.