My Protector - Part Three - Ahkmenrah

REQUESTED

Y/N's POV

First, I feel the pain in my chest before it spreads through the rest of my body like a burning fire. Then I open my eyes and breathe. While the breath felt amazing filling my empty lungs, my eyes protested the scorching light surrounding me. But when I feel the knife leaving my chest, the light becomes more bearable and warmth surrounds me. I am alive once more. But I can't even remember dying. That could only mean one thing. Ahkmenrah...

When my eyes fully adjust to the light, that's when I see him. My king standing above me. Suddenly, memories of my past swarm in my head, fighting for dominance. Memories of Ahk holding the tablet by his bed. Fighting an army of men who were all trying to get to him. Kahmunrah thrusting the spare into Ahkmenrah and Ahk slowly dying in my arms as I wept. That must have been when I was killed, when I was at my most vulnerable. I wasn't able to protect my king. My king, who is standing above me, looking down at me with a small smile.

I suddenly sit up, saying; "My king, you're alive," but I didn't realize that as I sat up, my wings flared out, hitting the little man in front of me, sending him flying across the room before he crashes to the ground. "Oh, I'm sorry little man, I didn't know you were there, and my wings just did that... I didn't mean to, I'm sorry." The littler little man laughs down at the little man as he tries to stand up.

"It's fine." He groans in reply, finally standing up and brushes off his weird looking robes. "I'm fine." Something moves in my peripheral vision and I look down to see Ahk holding out his hand in front of me, which I graciously take. He helps me to move, which is something I am finding greatly difficult seeing as I haven't moved in what seems like years. But he helps me into a kneeling position before he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me close against him, lifts me out of the tomb and sets me down gently on my feet. Throughout this whole time, I can't stop looking at Ahkmenrah who looks just as alive and handsome as I remember.

"Ho-how are you alive right now?" I ask in an almost whisper seeing as we're still so close.

"You know the tablet father gave me?" I nod, remembering his father telling me that he needs to guard that with his life. Mine too, but I had no idea why. "Well, my parents had it made for me so that it can bring me back to life, just like the knife does for you, only I am forced into a waxed form from the moment the sun rises. While I was stuck in my tomb for a few years, these little men, Larry and Nick helped me out." He says, briefly looking at Nick and Larry who mutters 'what is up with them calling us little men?' before Ahk returns his gaze back to me. "Then they helped me find you, my... protector." He hesitated before saying the last word. This confuses me as he has never hesitated calling me his protector before, but I soon let it go.

Instead I pull him into a hug, wrapping my wings securely around us too. I let my emotions of relief flow into it and he hugs me back just as tightly. "I'm so glad you're okay. I'm so glad you're alive." I mumble into his shoulder. 

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you again Shayera." His voice is full of emotion as we hold onto each other as if we're afraid to lose the other again. But I soon realize the position we're in and how scandelous it may look like from the outside. I take a step back, looking down at the ground to try and compose myself and the heat on my cheeks before I turn to the men, Larry and Nick.

"Thank you two so much for helping my king, Ahkmenrah. I am in your debt." I bow in front of them, fanning my wings so they bow with me too, before I stand back to my full height. "If there is anything I can do to repay you, please just call on me." 

"Well, actually, there is something I need help in. From the both of you." Larry says, edging a little closer to the both of us.

"What is it?" Ahkmenrah asks, growing concerned. Just then, a group of men holding sharp weapons and have fur wrapped around their heads run past the door, letting off a warrior cry. 

"Umm, what was that?" I ask, pointing to the entrance where the screaming men once were.

"That was Attila the Hun and his tribe. And that is partly why I need your help."

"So, you need help slaying them. I can do that. I am good at fighting large groups of men. They don't stand a chance..."

"No," Larry cuts in, making me deflate. What's wrong with wanting a good fight? "I don't need you to slay them. I actually just want you to keep them inside. Things here have gone out of control and I can't let anyone escape because if they are outside when the sun rises, then poof." Larry animatedly explains. 

"Poof?" I ask.

"They turn into ash."

"Oh. Poof." I say slowly, understanding dawning on me. 

"Well, we can't let that happen. Lets go and help." Ahkmenrah says in his leading tone, causing us to all start running out of the room towards the chaos. But I am soon stopped by the littler man, Nick, pulling on my hand while the other two run ahead.

"What's wrong, Nick? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I ask, worried that I also might have hurt him when I flung his father across the room.

"I'm fine." He says, causing me to sigh in relief. "I just don't understand something and I was hoping you could explain. Why aren't you and the king together? You obviously care about one another." This question takes me aback and it's a while before I can answer him, my heart heavy.

"If you are insinuating what I think you are, that can never happen."

"Why not?" Nick asks, genuinely confused and I feel a sense of loss when I answer.

"Because it's scandalous. A king and his protector together? No, that's unheard of and therefore, should never happen." I say with finality and I start walking the direction the others did when Nick says something that stops me in my tracks.

"All because something is unheard of, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Times have changed, Y/N. Things are more accepted in today's age."