A Drop of Trust (20)

HELLOOOOO LOVELIES <3

Welcome back to "what the fuck is happening?????"

Well, you know just as much as I do at this point. 

Writing this book just is just like winging my exams lol.

Enjoy my little wormies!

---------------------------

The Viking man strides over to the counter where I had emptied my basket. "Sorry about that darlin', didn't mean to keep you waitin'."

I shrug my shoulders and give him a tentative smile. He gives a big grin in return and begins to scan my things whilst trying to get me to make conversation.

"I'm a little understaffed at the moment unfortunately," he begins. "Something about the owner being a little intimidatin'." He smirks knowingly at me at that statement and it takes me a second to comprehend that there isn't a sweet old lady who runs the dainty shop, it's this behemoth who looks more suited for a sward battle than watering pink flowers. The man's booming laughter has me startled. "You don't talk much do you little filly? That's alright, too many people do too much yappin' and not enough listin' nowadays."

I giggle at that. He has no idea.

The man gives me a gentle look before going back to scanning. Thinking about his comment about being understaffed, I contemplate actually working here. It's not too far away from school so I could work here during the week.

"Oki doki, that'll be fourty-five dollars and twelve cents darlin'."

I reach into my bag to grab my warn brown wallet and give him the money. My throat is already extremely sore from its use today, but I try to work up the courage to ask him about a job.

I like this man, he's nice and I feel comfortable about him. Not to mention there are no alarms going off in my head which is a rarity. The shop is a dream and I like his friendly demeanor. His accent is also a plus. Making my final decision, I decide to take another leap of faith. In a tentative voice I stutter out, "Um, are...are you still hiring, sir?"

As if taken by surprise, he blinks a few times before answering, "Well of course darlin'! I'd love to have someone like you around here. I get the feelin' that you don't exercise those vocals O'yers too often so I could have you work on restocking and organizing while I handle the counter. When can you start?"

Is he actually serious? No interview, or background information? What if I'm a criminal?

Seeing my disbelief, he leans back against the wall while folding his beefy arms. "Listen darlin' I served in the army for fifteen years, then the navy for another seven, and finished with five years as a...well...special person who targets...um...certain individuals assigned to me..." seeing my face he cuts himself off. "Anyway, I can see a person's character from a mile away, and you miss..."

"Sang" I reply.

He continues, "...Sang, don't set any alarm bells off so your hired, plain and simple." I also catch the sentence under his breath, "I also hate paperwork."

I'm absolutely ecstatic that finding a job was so easy!

"Thank you, sir."

Settling his arms on the counter, he lets out a snort. "Please darlin, call me Zander. Now that your workin' here let's give you the grand tour."

For the next half-hour, Zander walks me around the store showing me the back room where he keeps his produce. In that time, I learn much about him and begin to feel so relaxed around him that by the time we make it back to the front, we are both in full blown laughter.