12. Romantic Movie Realness

Finals week was taking a toll on everyone, but we got through it. The light of graduation was ahead of us, and we were pulling through. We were almost done.
    Zak, Jen and I studied in the library everyday after our tests. I finished my last final, period four, but I promised I'd stay in the library with Jennifer as she studied. Zak stayed with us too.
    At around two o'clock, Zak said that he had to leave. My heart yearned for me to chase him, but I knew I had to keep my promise to Jen. However, about thirty seconds after he left, I couldn't contain myself any longer. I told Jen that I had to use the bathroom, and chased after him.
    Jen, Zak, and I were the only students left at the school, so the parking lot was deserted, except for Zak's convertible. It was pouring rain outside, the first rain we had had in a month. Soaking wet within seconds, I caught up to Zak just as he was unlocking his door.
    "Zak! Wait," I said, stepping towards him. "I need to talk to you."
    "What's up, Jamie?" he replied.
    "Have you ever had a feeling that you couldn't contain? A feeling that everyone thinks is wrong, or foolish, but you know it's right?"
    "Yeah. Almost everyday." He stepped closer to me, staring at me with his gorgeous, electric blue eyes.
    "Have you ever felt a love for someone that words can't describe? A love that you know will never die, will make your life complete, but ruin your life at the same time?"
    "I feel that way right now," he said, moving so close, the tips of our shoes were touching.
    "I love you," I said, staring right in his eyes. He said nothing for a moment. Then he leaned in and kissed me.
    We stood in the parking lot, the rain pounding on our heads, kissing. His arms wrapped around me, and mine him. As we kissed, I could see the light of the sun through my closed eyelids. The rain slowed down, but we didn't. Zak picked me up, and spun me around in a circle. It was like the moment in every romance movie I had ever seen. As the rain finally stopped, we pulled away from each other. I realized that we had been kissing for over five minutes, and that Jennifer would be wondering where we were. But I didn't care. As I looked up at his gorgeous face, a quiet came over my mind. I hadn't realized how many thoughts were running through my head until that moment of sweet serenity and peace. I had found it. Love. I wanted more. I reached up, pulled his head down, and this time, I kissed him. My lips craved his, and I couldn't pull myself away. Finally, we managed to pull apart, and we stood there once again, holding hands.
    "You have to get home before your mother worries," I said, stroking his hand with my thumb.
    "I guess. You better get inside before Jennifer figures out where you are."
    "I'm soaking wet! She's gonna know just by looking at me!"
    "Tell her the toilet exploded. That should convince her." We laughed, and he got into his car.
    "I love you," he said, looking up at me.
    "I love you too."
    "I'll see you tomorrow." He kissed my hand, and started his car.
    "Bye," I said, as he drove away.