Prologue

"Listen, Willow, you need to understand that no one will believe you. So don't think about telling anyone," Darius paused, rustling his speckled feathers. "Keep to the forest floor - avoid any other human and stay vigilant."

Willow sighed, looking up at the tall red-brown trees, winter was near. 

"I know Darius, you've told me this everyday, since I came here."

"One can never be too cautious." Darius hooted wisely.

"Yes Darius," Willow mumbled meeting his yellow eyes.

Darius hooted again, as Willow stroked his large soft head. Darius was one of the great owls, but instead of brown feathers, he had speckled ones. Which made him the leader and as the leader of the great owls, he looked after Willow. 

Well the other creatures helped too, Willow spent winter with the bears. Most of the creatures were friendly and had cared for Willow since she was 3. Now Willow was 18, so she had lived in the forest for 15 years. 

No one had told her how she had got there, all Darius had told her was that the foxes found her. Willow loved the foxes, there were around 30 she knew. In fact, the runt of the pack, Jasper, was her best friend.

Willow enjoyed her life in the forest, she had learnt so much over the course of 15 years. From animal behavior to healing wounds. 

You'd be surprised how much she had learnt from living most of her life in a forest. But, although she was happy, she missed human contact. 

She really wanted to meet 'the guy', from all those romance novels she read. Yes, the animals borrowed books from the near-by villages, then returned them after Willow was done. How else was Willow supposed to learn? 

Anyway she longed for someone to sweep her off her feet, also it would be nice to have someone else to talk too, besides animals all the time. 

"Willow!" Jasper ran to her, which bought her out of her thoughts. 

"Yes Jasper?"She responded patting his soft head. His mis-matched eyes staring up at her. 

"Can I pleaseee spend winter with you and the bears?"

"We talked about this, besides I don't even hibernate."

"Neither do I!"

"You need to stay with your family over the cold months. I can't keep you warm enough."

"But-"

"No Jasper, they wouldn't allow it. Besides, I'll come and visit you."

Jasper sighed, obviously mad that Willow was right. 

"You promise?" He whispered, nudging his head into her shoulder.

"Absolutely."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------