Chapter Two

(Imagine Jasper with mis-matched eyes)

Willow's POV:

After about 20 minutes of walking, we had reached the lake. Right now it's frozen solid, but in Summer it's a great place to swim. 

Now, it's frozen surface mirrored the sky and trees above. Next to one side of the lake, there is a small rock pile, large enough for Jasper and I to sit on. 

So I climb up after Jasper, sitting down on the edge and dangle my legs over it. Jasper curls up on my lap, which provides more warmth. 

"Willow?"

"Mmm?"

"Do you miss your parents?" His eyes meet mine, wanting to see my reaction. 

"Well, I dunno, I don't really remember them. I guess they had reasons for abandoning me in the woods? I dunno." I reply, ignoring the gust of cool wind. 

"Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense," he replies. 

Silence over takes us, as we look out at the lake. The frozen surface is a whitish-blue, reflecting the bare trees and cloudy sky above. Over the lake on the opposite side, I saw the rabbits holding their weekly meeting.

Around 200 rabbits lived in or near the forest and once a week beside this lake, they held a meeting. 

I had been to a few over the years, the meetings normally included; population counting, food storage/availability and predator awareness.

The rabbits had taught me how to count, do advanced equations and some science stuff. So, they held a special place in my heart, especially the babies.

Jasper suddenly tilted his nose toward them, sniffing excitedly. Oh right...Foxes eat rabbits, time to go!

"Come on Jasper, we should head back to your family."

I really didn't want him to run towards them. 

"Jasper? Lets go," I say sternly.

"Okay"

"I'm going to carry you, coz it's cold." I'm not going to be responsible for a rabbit massacre. 

Jasper nods, burrowing his head into my neck as I jump off the rocks. The snow muffles my footsteps as I head away from the lake, towards Jasper's home.

"What are you gonna do after you take me home Willow?" Jasper asks, licking my ear affectionately.

"Well, I'll go see if Darius is in the mood to talk, it's almost night." I reply, looking up at the sky.

"Can I come?"

"Jasper, Darius ain't a huge fan of you. Besides, it's almost dark."

Jasper sighs, "okay Willow , you're right."

I sigh, knowing that Jasper's face is probably really sad right now.

"Jasper sweetie, you know that it isn't safe for a pup like you at night."

I feel Jasper nod in agreement, "will you be okay?"

"Yes Jasper, I'll be fine." 

10 minutes later: 

We arrive at the burrow. It's located under a tree, with roots covering some of the entrance. The entrance is surrounded by snow-covered grass and a mossy path leads up to the burrow. 

I obviously can't fit or enter, but I know that many foxes live in this underground burrow. 

"Bye Willow! See you later!" Jasper licks my cheek and jumps out of my arms.

"Bye Jasper."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I head toward Darius' tree, twilight is falling. I look up through the trees' branches as I walk in the ankle-deep snow. 

My boots were made of layers of tough-hardened leather, that went halfway up my shin, with fur around the top.

They had a great grip on the bottom, so slipping on the snow was pretty rare. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

20 minutes later I had made it to Darius' tree. In Summer, it was covered in large green leaves, with dashes of yellow and orange. But in Winter it's bare, with a few leaves. 

At the highest point of the trunk, was Darius' nesting hole/tree hollow. (A/N: I don't know what a hole in a tree trunk is called, so yeah...)

He normally sat on a lower branch whenever I had my lessons with him. Normally he taught me; Literature, history and other important things. At the start of every lesson he made me recite the forest law.

He also answered any questions I had, like 'why do the animals accept me?' - This is what I asked almost every time.

His answer was always the same, 'they accept you because you accept them.' I know what  you're thinking, whaaaaa?

Yeah, me too, I have no idea what that means. But, I just ignore the confusing response and move on. 

I'm brought out of my thoughts by a rustling above me. I look up and see Darius, preening his feathers. His yellow eyes are focused on me, he stops tending to his feathers and swoops down to a lower branch.

"Good evening Darius," I say smiling.

"Good morning Willow, how are you?"

I smile, of course he says morning, for him it technically is.

"I'm great, I went to the lake with Jasper today. Saw the rabbits having their weekly meeting," I reply.

Darius hoots, bobbing his head in acknowledgement.

"Willow, could you please recite the Forest Law?"

Sigh

I recite it, with a bored expression. "Only hunt when necessary, don't be violent towards any human who enters the forest. You can live anywhere, stay out of the Dark Forest and don't go into the villages, unless getting stuff for me."

THE FOREST LAW:

. Only hunt when necessary

. If a human enters the forest, be cautious, do not engage in violence.

. You may live anywhere in the forest

. Do not enter the Dark Forest

. Do not enter the human villages, unless you are providing items for Willow.

Darius nods, as proudness shines in his yellow eyes. 

"Yes Willow, well done. Now on with our lesson, today, Shakespeare."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------