Jim's Flashback (Meeting Dwight)

4 years earlier, Part 1

Jim's point of view

I started applying at a bunch of paper companies hoping one of them would take me. Today was my first interview at Dunder Mifflin paper company. Let's just hope I don't embarrass myself. I have never been so scared in my life. I got dressed and headed to the interview. Once I got there and I opened the door.

" Jim Halpert I presume?"

I turned around and there was a tall man who wore a black suit, his hair was neatly combed to the side. " Yes, that's me. Who are you?", I asked.

" Michael Scott, I'll be interviewing you today", he said as he lifted his hand in front of me. I shook his hand.

Michael took me to a room and interviewed me. And I have to say I think it went pretty well. The two of us were just laughing. Now I just have to wait for the call.

The very next day Michael called me up and said that I was hired. I couldn't tell you how happy I was. He also told me that I start work on Monday which was in 2 days.

In the meantime, I had to buy some suits for work so I headed off to the mall.  I bought a couple of black slacks and some white long-sleeved shirts along with a blue and dark gray one. I bought myself a few other things I needed.

Monday my first day of work finally arrived. I was so nervous. I got dressed and headed out. I walked inside the building and Michael was there waiting for me.

"I thought I would show you around so you wouldn't get lost", he said

I smiled and said," Can't wait to see everything". 

We took the elevator up to the workplace. As soon as I walked in, everyone lifted their heads and looked at me.

" This is Jim  Halpert, he's joining our little family. So make him feel welcomed", Michael announced.

I looked back at everyone and gave a smile and a little wave. 

" Come on I'll show you around.  Oh before I forget Pam right over there is the hottest in the office. She'll do you if you ask nicely", Micheal grinned.

" Michael! Seriously? What the hell is wrong with you!?", the girl angry yelled at him.

" Um... uh...", I stuttered. I wasn't sure how to respond to that.

" Pam chill. Alright, Jim let me show you around the place".

Michael introduced me to Toby. He was so nice and calm.

" This is Toby he's the worst. He works with Human Resources. So uh use him. If you don't want to. I don't blame you".

" Hey Toby", I smiled at the older man.

" Hey Jim, if you need any help or need someone to talk too. I'm here for you", he said smiling.

After Michael was done showing me around, he took me to my desk.

" This will be your desk".

" Okay cool".

" If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask", he said.

" Alrighty, Thanks Michael".

Michael left and I started working. I looked at my desk mate. Damn, he's hot I thought to myself. Hmm... I was trying to decide if I should say something or wait for him to speak up. I grabbed my pencil and started twirling it around,  but I guess I was twirling it too fast because the next thing I knew my pencil went flying and hit him on the head. Oh shit, I said to myself. He looked at me and I couldn't help but grin.

" I'm so sorry", I apologized.

He glared at me. Is he not going to say anything back?

" Watch where you throw your damn pencils because next time I'll break all your damn pencils and make sure you have none", he informed.

" Um... is that a threat?", I asked.

" Yes".

" It was an accident, I didn't mean to hit you in the head with a pencil", I told him.

" Sure whatever you say".

"Dumbass", I coughed in my hand.

" What the hell did you just call me?", he asked with so much seriousness.

" Nothing, I didn't call you anything".

" Don't talk to me, I don't associate with people like you".

" Your the one that's talking."

" Shut up, from here and out me and you aren't friends".

" That's fine by me".

He scoffed and picked up the phone that began ringing on his desk. 

During lunch, I made my way to the break room.  I mean I could have just went out to eat but I didn't feel like driving. I got a grape soda and a bag of pretzels from the vending machines. I sat all by myself and ate my food in silence. And that's when my desk mate came in, he walked passed me and went over to the vending machine. He can't hate me forever, can he?

" Look I'm sorry, Can we start over?", I asked.

He ignored me and finished putting his coins into the vending machine.

" My name is Jim by the way, are you planning on ignoring me for the rest of your life?"

" Ugh...Please stop talking to me", he sighed.

" I'm just trying to make conversation", I say.

" Then do it with someone else", he said as he left the break room.

Wow-what a bitch. Just then Pam the receptionist came in.

She looked at me and said," Hey Jim, hows your first day going?"

" It's going well. By the way, what's that guy's name, the one with the huge glasses?"

Pam began laughing. " It's Dwight".

" Does he always keep to himself and avoid everyone", I asked, trying to learn more about him.  

" Yes, he does. He's only loyal to Michael. I don't know why because Michael is annoying as hell and bothers everyone", she replied.

"Wow", I chuckled. 

" Don't worry he'll warm up to you sooner or later", she grinned.

" Honestly, I feel like pulling a prank on him. "

" He's gonna hate that", she laughed.

" Yes he will but I don't care. He's a jerk. "

After work, I stopped by the store to get stuff for my prank. I couldn't wait to pull this prank on him.