The Joke

Third point of view 

Jim woke up and got ready for work. He couldn't wait to see Dwight today. When he got to work and he went straight to the receptionist desk to talk to Pam. 

"So how was last night?",she asked. "Did yall kiss?", she grins.

"No we didn't kiss. We went out to eat and binged watched Glee. We are hanging out this Friday and I'm gonna spend a night at his place", Jim said smiling. 

"Oh my gosh. So what are y'all planning on doing on Friday?"

"Watching mean girls", he grins.

"Really? I didn't think Dwight would be into that",she said.

"Me either, but I'm glad he is", Jim said. "Guess what I found out about Dwight?"

"What?"

"I found out where he gets his clothes dry-cleaned at and I custom ordered the exact same suit but made with tear-away", Jim laughed.

"Wait is he wearing it today?", she asked laughing.

"Not yet he picks it up tomorrow. This has got to  be my favorite prank yet", Jim continues laughing. 

"I bet It is because that means you get to see body underneath all those clothes."

"That's the point but I also wanna make him mad."

" Jim you're something else", Pam said grinning. "But I also can't wait to see how this prank plays out".

" I wish he got his underwear dry-cleaned there. So I can get it with tear-away", he grinned. 

"You just want to see him completely naked don't you?"

"Hell yes. That's the goal", he admitted.

" Oh my", she continued to laugh.

"What are y'all laughing at?", Dwight asked as he walked in.

"Jim told me a funny joke", Pam lied.

"A joke? What's the joke Jim?", Dwight asked.

" Oh. You don't wanna know. "

" Yes I do".

"Well your not gonna find it funny. It was meant for Pam only", Jim said hoping Dwight wouldn't ask what the joke was.

"Oh...Now I'm curious. So what is it?"

"I told you Dwight. I'm not telling you", Jim said as he walked over to his desk and Dwight followed after him.

Jim took a seat and turned and his computer.

" Hmm...I'll find out soon enough", Dwight said with a smirk.

"Good luck with that".

Throughout the rest of the day Dwight kept on asking Jim over and over again what the joke was.  But Jim refused to give him an answer. 

The end of the day came and everyone got ready to leave. Everyone left. Jim and Dwight were the last ones still inside.

"So Jim, what's the joke?", he asked again.

"I'm not telling you Dwight", Jim said as he grabbed his coat and put it on. 

"Hmm...I'm not going to let you leave until you tell me ", Dwight said as he grabbed his wrist with a tight grip. 

"Well then I guess I'm not going anywhere", Jim said. "You can ask over and over again but I'm not gonna tell you and you wanna know why because it's none of your fucking business Dwight!".

Dwight let go of Jim's wrist and rolled his eyes at the younger man. "Alright fine go". Dwight  walked passed him and headed to the elevator. Before the elevator doors could close Jim stopped it and entered the elevator, standing right beside Dwight. The ride down was silent. The elevator doors opened and they both walked out. 

"Dwight stop. It's not that I don't want to tell you a joke. It's just that it wasn't a joke", he confessed. " We were talking about you and I didn't want you to know what we said". 

"Wha---what? What the hell did you say about me!?", he yelled in anger.

" It wasn't nothing bad. Okay?"

"I don't  believe you", Dwight straight out said. 

Jim thought about kissing him to show him how he felt and tell everything but he knew it wouldn't be right. He wanted the moment to be perfect. He decided that he'll just wait. And tell him parts of what he and Pam said. 

"Pam she asked me about how last night went with us and I told her".

"Then why would you hide that. I'm not an idiot Jim. I know there's more to the story. You just don't want to tell me."

"She asked if we...uh kissed?", Jim said nervously said as he began to bite his finger nail of his thumb.

"That's bullshit. I don't...I don't believe  that shit", he said with disbelief.

"I'm not lying."

Dwight stayed quiet.

"If you are wondering I told her no because that would never happen. And then I told her about mean girls and we laughing because we couldn't believe that you were willing to watch it. Dwight it's the truth".

"Okay, I believe you",Dwight said as he turned his back to leave.

The words I told her no because that would never happen made Dwight feel empty inside. What the hell did Jim mean by that. Did he change his mind about liking him. 

Jim didn't exactly know what was happening so he simply just said "Good Night Dwight. See you tomorrow.

"Uh good night. You got to exit the building so I can lock up".

Jim exited the building and left before Dwight could finish locking the door. 

When Jim got home he decided to text his friend.

Jim: I just wanted to say I'm sorry for today if I made you uncomfortable. 

Dwight: Its okay. All is forgiven.

Jim: Well that's a relief. 😊