Chapter 5 {DANIELLE}

*not edited*go vote on twitter polls @ novelistwannabe DANIELLE

*not edited
*go vote on twitter polls @ novelistwannabe
DANIELLE

My mother's voice was frail and horse and exhausted. I aches for her; for me. It'd been five years since I heard her lovely voice and to be quite honest, I missed it.

"Hi mom..." I choked out, my voice breaking.

There was a gasp on the other end of the line.  Could she tell it was me?  Was she going to be angry with me? 

"Dani?..." my mom spoke slowly and unsurely. 

"Yeah." Was all I managed to say. 

The line went quite for what felt like forever.  I think I heard sniffling a few times.  She must be crying. 

"What-... how?"  She questioned, sounding utterly confused, yet her voice was laced with joy. 

"Nate found me last night." I glanced up at the boy sitting beside me and shot him a shy grin. 

There conversation was once again filled with silence as I began to fiddle with the hem of my shirt out of anxietiousness. 

"I'm sorry, mom."  I finally spoke, my voice cracking as I held back tears.  "I never meant to hurt you." 

"I know sweetie," she assured me.  "Don't apologize." 

I could imagine her embracing me in one of her warm hugs if this conversation had been in real life.  She didn't give her hugs often, but I missed them all the same.  I missed her. 

"I love you."  A tear slipped out as spoke. 

"I love you too Dani."  My mom stated. 

"How's Sam?"  I questioned, trying to pull myself back together. 

"He's good, but I'm sure he'd be better if you came home."  Her voice sounded so fragile and so full of hope.  "We miss you so much." 

I wasn't sure what to say.  I hurt my family by doing a selfish act; running away.  Selfishness isn't supposed to be one of my qualities.  I was supposed to be brave and strong and think about the people I love before myself.  Why didn't I think about them when I decided to run away? 

I wanted so badly to come home, but I wasn't sure I was ready.  To be totally honest, I'm still afraid.  I'm afraid Johnny will find me and he'll do unspeakable things to me.  I'm afraid he'll kill me. 

"I miss you too."  I finally responded. 

I glanced up and Nate was watching me with a sympathetic look. 

"Is Sam around?"  I asked, looking around from Nate.  "I wanna tell him happy birthday." 

"I'm afraid not hun."  My mom sounded sad for both Sam and I.  "I'll have him call you as soon as he gets back."