Lesson time

Core's POV

"Good morning Mr Anderson" Rythian laughed. I reached for my sunglasses without even opening my eyes. It had taken me time to get used to doing it but I managed it. I slid the suglasses up to the bridge of my nose, then opened my eyes. I climbed out of bed, still dressed in the same clothes I had been wearing the night before. "We have actual work to do this morning"

"Oh yay" I smirked. I grabbed my timetable out my bag and scanned it. Magic, Building, Science and double combat. Wow. I'd had some weird timetables in my life but this topped them all. What the hell kind of school teaches you something as open ended as 'combat' Come on Ridge fix your school...

Magic was cool. The classroom looked normal enough, chairs, desks, a blackboard and all that crap. On the board there was a diagram of some magic shit or something. While I had picked the subject they didn't expect me to read shit did they.

Our teacher was a crazy old bugger called Fumblemore. He must have been in his thousands. He walked into the classroom and nodded to the class.

"Morning" He said, in a voice that reminded me of someone. "Today we'll be studying basic equivilant exchange" A series of groans perpetrated the crowd "Now don't be like that I'll try to make the work as practicall based as possible" He smiled "Richard hand the textbooks out"

"It's Rythian sir" Rythian grunted, but Fumblemore barely registered the comment.

"When you recieve your textbook turn to page one and read the first paragraph. You can talk if you wish but please do try to keep it quiet" He sat down at his desk and began writing. The information in the textbook imprinted itself instantly into my mind the moment I read it.

'Equivilant exchange is based on the idea that everything has an EMC, or energy, value. This value can be extrapolated, completly destroying the object in the process. This extrapolated energy can then be used to create other objects, transmutation, or power magical devices. Transmutation is often confused with alchemy which is in fact a rather primitive form of science'

I raised my hand and Fumblemore nodded at me.

"What do we do when we've finished?" I asked "Sir?" I added, almost as an afterthought.

"Bloody hell boy" Fumblemore chuckled "I asked you to read it not eat it, come here" He began drawring a diagram on a piece of paper. "Understand that?" He asked, I nodded. "Read this" He laughed, pulling another book from under the pile and handing it to me. I opened it and began to read, well before I reached my desk...

Building was fun. We got to build shit. We were given pretty much unlimeted suplies and told to get on with it. I sculpted a scale model of the school and grounds and a scale model of Orfanc. Fun times.

In science I managed to blow up a macerator by pumping power directly from my MFE into the power socket, overloading it. I also detonated several cables by not insulating them properly. After a while our teacher decided to give me a textbook for my own safety.

At the end of the day we had the lesson I'd been waiting for, combat. We filed into a gymanasium and lined up. Next to us was a large rack of weapons. Our teacher walked in.

"I'm Knight Perculier" He explained "People used to call me old but then they stopped. This afternoon we will be studying melee combat. Everyone grab an appropriate weapon, put on the armour from that rack over there and line up by the back" He finshed speaking and we all did what he said.

The weapons were, unsuprisingly, all made of wood. They ranged from double handed warhammers to simple daggers. I chose an simple sword, like the ones I'd learned to use over the years. The armour was made of a thick, probably carbon and silicon based compund . Perculier explained that it would tighten when an object collided with it with some force, preventing movement.